Sunday, July 2, 2017

.....plantain

Yogis……
Do you recognize this gal?

This is Plantago Major.  Her sister with longer narrow leaves and tall stems with seeds on top is Plantago Ianceolata.  Both go by their nickname, plantain, and you can find them everywhere!

When I was young I loved to sit out in the grass this time of year when they were producing their seed stalks and run my hand down them to see how many seeds I could pull off in one stroke. When I became an adult I thought of them as a lawn nuisance. Now that I am becoming wiser I welcome them with open arms.

Plantain is one of nature’s super healers. She is used around the world for her medicinal qualities and is a staple in the Native American healing bag. Her leaves contain substances which promote skin rejuvenation making her indispensable in the treatment of skin abrasions, cuts, bites and other skin conditions.  When taken internally she can also treat colds, flu, mouth ulcers and diarrhea. She helps improve liver and kidney function and calms throat pain or infections. And all you need to do is look down……

Phoebe, my dog, had scraped the tender area inside of her hip before we left on vacation. It started looking bad a few days in. I began using some Bactine and Neosporin.  Each day it would appear to be healing, only to look bad again the next morning. When I got home Friday I was out back with her when the plantain in my garden caught my eye. Of course! Once yet again……..not practicing what I preach. 

The easiest and quickest way to use plantain is as a poultice (be sure the yard hasn’t been chemically treated). You simply pick a leaf, put it in your mouth and chew it up well to get the juices flowing.  Once chewed, create it into a ball in your mouth and place the ball of wet herb on the area which needs healing. Perfect remedy for bee stings, scrapes, cuts, skin eruptions etc. Her leaves also contain an agent which stops bleeding. I did this twice with Phoebe yesterday and her cut is looking so much better already! The over the counter products have gone back into the cabinet.

You can also make a tea from her by seeping one cup of ripped up leaves in two cups of boiling water in a bowl or mason jar covered with a lid until cold to the touch. Then strain and store in refrigerator for up to two weeks. Drinking 1 – 2 cups a day, plain or with honey, can control diarrhea and calm respiratory colds or fever. Plantain tea can be an aid to those with IBS, heartburn or other gastrointestinal tract concerns as well.  he tea also is used on the skin to wash wounds and calm sunburn. Or plantain can even be sautéed or thrown in salads. 

Tomorrow when you walk about see where you can find her. When you see her, wave and please tell her Sarah says hi!

When we are hurt or ill, a plant is always nearby waiting to help.  All we have to do is look down…..
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment