Sunday, July 30, 2017

.....cheetos

Yogis,
I returned from a week at the beach with friends (…about 50 of them) only hours ago. Car is unloaded and suitcases have been carried upstairs. Cold food out of the coolers and the pile of mail collected from the neighbor. Garden checked and laundry started. I’m home.

Now it’s back to my schedule and my diet……..
By diet I don’t mean the ones with a name or found on the cover of magazines at the checkout counter.  I’m not referring to counting calories, limiting my options or depriving myself. I simply mean getting back to the way I like to eat. Eating the fresh foods that make me feel healthy, full of energy and vibrant. I always look forward to the switch back when I return!

Whenever I am about to travel I tell myself that I am going to stay close to my regular diet while I’m gone. Allowing for some treats of course, but sticking close to my typical fare…..but it never seems to happen.  

As soon as I start on a long highway trip my mouth immediately begins to water for an egg and cheese biscuit from McDonalds. No, I tell myself. You have your nuts, banana and dried mango in the bag right next to you.  But somehow the biscuit whispers enough times in my ear that  before I know it, it is sitting in my lap. And I have only been gone for 2 hours!

It goes downhill from there. A healthy tomato and lettuce wrap for lunch, followed up by a pack of Nutter Butters – every day.  A mid afternoon bag of Cheetos. It’s noon? Ok, time for the first beer. A helping of egg noodles at dinner, followed by another. White potatoes, bread with butter, pasta.  A few Twizzlers each day and of course Caramel Creams. While the herbs for infusions I brought to drink sit lonely and untouched in the cabinet. 

Each evening as I fall asleep I tell myself that tomorrow will be a day to detox and get back on track.  The next morning I find myself raising my hand when asked ‘who wants eggs on top of cornbread with avocado and hollandaise sauce?”  Oh well. 

But I don’t regret any of it. Not while it is happening and not after. I allow myself to thoroughly enjoy every last sip and bite confident that once I walk back into my home what I crave will adjust itself right back. Trusting my body enough to allow it its ‘wild times’, knowing it will soon want to clear itself out once again. 

So I’m back. Back to fruits, nuts, greens, hummus, yogurt……..Until the next time.

Did I mention the rum soaked pineapple chunks passed around at the beach?
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment