Sunday, August 6, 2017

......I see you

Yogis,
I see you………
I didn’t always. 

When we first met all I saw was the car you drove up in and what you were wearing. The color of your hair. How tall you were and the way you introduced yourself. What you were carrying and the manner in which you stood. I heard your voice and felt how you shook my hand. The words you chose first. And from this I formed my judgment. You were ‘that’ kind of person. Placing  you neatly in one of my numerous categories of people. 

The next time we crossed paths I began to notice the way you held my gaze for a second longer than is ‘customary’ (….whoever decided what that is). How you have that habit of putting your hand to your mouth when you laugh and your clear desire to be liked as you compliment all of those around you. The way your eyes look down when you become uncomfortable and the step back you take when I come too close.

More time together and I now sense a softness under that somewhat rough exterior. Hearing your slightly unsure tone buried beneath the confident talk. The way you check your phone when the conversation takes certain turns. I see you glance at yourself in the mirror as we walk by and catch your almost inaudible sigh when the world gets quiet. 

Now after these months, I do see you. I know it can feel uncomfortable as the masks you so meticulously place on each morning when you step out from the shower are stripped away leaving your soul naked. As if I can see the curve of your hip or even that birthmark you carefully hide beneath your clothing. Wondering if I am watching your sorrow when I return your gaze or managed to catch a glimpse of the deep uncertainty you have for your future. I do see you. 

This dragonfly was visiting my garden the other day. At first I was trying to take her picture because of her beautiful blue coloring. Her clothes. But she wouldn’t stay still for long and my camera could not focus on someone so tiny.  She kept returning. Each time looking me right in the eye as if to say…..’do you see me?’  I got low and watched her mouth chew. So small and delicate. She would look away and then look back. Until my camera suddenly focused. Then I saw her. 

And off she flew. 

We judge. We categorize. But the deeper we look the more we see. The more we see the closer we become for we are all the same. You no different than I……all hiding beneath this outer shell we refer to as age, sex, race, education, political affiliation and economic status. Stand closer. Look beneath. See me.

Go deeper,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment