Sunday, December 24, 2017

......preparing

Yogis,
There are a few events each year that cause me to get the house in order. Our annual Lobsterfest, hosting a summer party, Goddess events…….and especially Christmas. 

You know what I mean? When suddenly you begin to see your house the way others who aren’t always there will. The clutter on the counter that has slowly accumulated. That missing bulb in the overhead fixture that hasn’t really been missed since there are four others. How the towels have begun to look a little nubby and sad and the spreading cobwebs on the front porch.

It begins a couple of weeks before the arrival of our 12 family members who will be here for a few days. And this year I decided to throw a complete bathroom gut and renovation to the mix! Workmen, dust, plumbing parts and trash lining the upstairs hall until Thursday afternoon. My heaven-sent cleaning crew then sweeps in and I take a deep breath, foolishly feeling as if all is now ok.

But no. As always I begin to bite off probably more than I can, or should chew.  Friday I find myself touching up paint, hanging a mirror on a plaster wall (which is no easy feat and involved several bent nails) and crawling around on my hands and knees to wipe out corners and clean the risers on the staircases. And each time I tackle one thing, my eyes notice three more. 

By Saturday morning my hands are cracked and I have several small painful annoying cuts on my fingers. A reminder of my last minute zest.  Only hours remaining until the arrivals begin.


Finally the sense of ‘enough’ seeps in.  Of course there is more that can be done, and of course I vow to do them after the holidays…..which may or may not happen. Enough.  
It is now time for my favorite part. Once the house has been cleared and shined I love to set little bud vases throughout with fresh flowers and cuttings from whatever is growing around me at the time.  Bringing the outside in.  I place them on bedside stands, the back of toilets, on shelves and on tables so that as we all move about the house we are greeted by life at each turn. They smile at us, and I smile back.

By the time you receive this all thirteen of us will be drinking champagne and eating cheese and crackers around the fire. The floors will once again be sprinkled with pine needles and crumbs, and shoes will line the foyer…….. but the small clipping of my prickly pine tree will send me a wink from across the room. 
And I will know that I did enough.

Merry Christmas to all!
SARAH

One week to Moon Month Meditation!
January is a blank slate. No better time to learn a new life habit. I make it painless, easy to do and fun! And you don't even have to leave your house......  Details here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment