Sunday, December 17, 2017

.....I couldn't make this up

Yogis,
It all began with a small article in the Washington Post last week revolving around proper gift giving in this holiday season. The writer shared a list of what not to buy and some possible alternatives. One of the items on the list was a calendar. Her view was that most of the world has now moved on to electronic calendars.

Now I have always had a wall calendar, or even two, going in my home. And although I no longer write my appointments on there, I still put in big events and notations to myself.  Like the small red dot I have begun using as I make my way through menopause, indicating the beginning of a cycle since they now can be weeks or perhaps even months apart. Without this visual reminder I would have no sense of time in this unchartered territory. Or a note on the day I plant some new seeds and a mark when I discover a sprout.

Many calendars also display the new and full moons and by seeing those daily I stay tuned in to the energy above. Seeing the whole month of May on one sheet gives it perspective and I look forward to that day of turning the page to see the pictures and quotes for June. Through my calendar I watch time move.......
Jump ahead to Friday afternoon when I am writing the invitation for the ‘Moon Month Meditation’ that I will lead in January (come with me!).  I noted how January is unique in that you cannot turn the page to get there.  You must remove the whole calendar and begin again with the one still sitting in its wrapper waiting in anticipation to see what will be placed within its daily boxes.  As I wrote, the article and electronic calendars came back to mind.

With an electronic calendar there is no turning of the page. There is no beginning nor an end. Nothing to touch or feel.  And on January 1st you no longer have the physical weight of last year’s calendar in your hands as you flip back through the months moved by how much life there was in there.  Then that small tug you feel at the heart when you must finally release it into the trash bin.  Letting it go as the blinding emptiness of the one you now hold up looks deep into your eyes.  What will you create here, it asks. 

All of the above pouring into me as I sat in front of my screen.  “But calendars are a January discussion” my mind piped in. “You can’t write that now. You will have to remember these thoughts in a couple of weeks for your blog”

Just then I heard the tell tale short single knock on the door with the sound of something dropping.  Followed immediately by warning barks from Phoebe.  A package must have arrived!

I open the door and know immediately. A flat rectangular package lies at my feet. My mouth drops open. I don’t even have to look at the return address to know this is from my aunt. The one who sends me a new calendar each Christmas. 

I burst out in loud laughter.  Ok, Universe, I shout!!  My heart swelling with joy for the small daily miracles that make life so breathtaking. 

So there you have it………it is indeed calendar week.  Good thing I am not a fiction writer as I could never have made this up. 

Hang out with the moon and me in January,
Sarah

Moon Month Meditation details in tab above!  

No comments:

Post a Comment