Sunday, November 8, 2015

...is it hot in here?

Yogis,
The Universe is always keeping me on my toes…..and keeping me entertained.  As I lay in bed late Friday night my day flashed in front of me and I suddenly laughed out loud.

You may recall I made mention of the fact that when I jump into fire I have this tendency to go a little too far…….and I had made that observation about myself a mere week ago!  You might think that would have kept me mindful.  Oh no.

Our focus has been on the fire element for two weeks now.  A strong practice including work on the ever dreaded Chaturanga, several arm balances, leg lifts, standing split and of course a good round of screaming.  Finding our core and inner strength, and awakening that ‘I CAN’ energy….. and working up some good internal heat in the process. Over the last 14 days I have done that practice probably 15 times between teaching and my own personal practice.

In those very same weeks, it seems I also took a giant step forward in the transformative process of menopause.  The nightly hot flashes have begun in earnest.  Waking up mornings groggy with a slight headache.

So I taught my final fire class on Friday morning, which then turned out to be a freak 80 degree day in November.  Leaves falling and the need to change out of that long sleeve shirt.  An hour long warm lunch time walk in the sun with a good friend.  Five hours later finds me at my hot yoga class working on standing up from wheel pose in a 95 degree room.  Of course then followed by my Friday night hot bath.

By the time I was done I was engulfed in one long hot flash with the internal furnace roaring and my face flush with sweat.  I stood there and couldn’t imagine even putting my light cotton pajamas against my skin.  Window open wide and blankets removed, I lay down and see my day flash before my eyes.  Yes indeed, I had done exactly what I predicted.
Will I ever learn or is that ‘just how I am’?  I think I can learn…..and I believe these hot flashes are going to be one of my guides.

Saturday I take it easy since I will be hosting the 27th annual Lobsterfest dinner that evening– 10 of us who met when we were young and carefree that absolutely love to gather once a year.  I want to feel tip top.  Sleeping in, a leisurely walk and a cup of my red clover infusion.  Watchful as I get the house ready not to fall into that frantic running around phase, but instead moving slowly and mindfully.  Enjoying setting the table and reminding myself to exhale fully.  Feeling the cooling effects of being present with exactly what is.

Everyone arrives for our evening of great food, lots of hugs, catching up on the year and then some no holds barred dancing.  It is a blast.  At one point I step back to observe with the beat of the music pulsing through my body.  I  see everyone spread across our great room, arms in the air, feet and hips moving…..and once again we are young and carefree.  Completely open to that moment. Pure fun. Grounded and relaxed.  (So relaxed in fact, that I had forgotten to put the plates out on the table…..)

As I lay down Saturday evening, the hot flashes, although still present, were more of a simmer.  I was able to lay back this time, spread my arms wide and receive the gift.

This evening while the sun set I watched the fire I had built in my pit and it showed me that I am learning.

I’m hot,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment