Sunday, January 5, 2014

......heeding winter's call


Dear Yogis,

This week we are back to our regular class schedule!!   The following week I will be away……learning and growing.

Nothing like frigid temperatures to slow life’s pace to a crawl.  Have you noticed?  The colder it has gotten, the less there seems to be to “do”. 

Winter is our time to take stock, rest and look inward.  A time to slow down in order to rediscover where it is that we are….physically, emotionally, in our careers, in our interests and in those areas where we may have become  a bit stuck.  During mild winters this natural and necessary phase of life occasionally gets skipped.  Not this month!! 

Even my body is telling me to slow down.  Small aches, stiff joints and creakiness seem to be visiting me – asking me to move in a more mindful way.  Knocking a little more loudly on the door when I don’t take notice.  Feeling the need to approach postures with respect and breathe my way in.  A tub filled with bath salts and rose petals calls my name.  Winter is a time to soak.

After a yoga class this weekend I overheard some women discussing the importance of weighing yourself daily to be sure you notice if a pound or two has snuck in unnoticed.   But they do and they should.  Just like the rabbit, our nature is to thicken our coat and become more curvy in winter, to protect and warm us.  This is no time for a diet of salads and fruit, but to feed the body’s longing for homemade soups, hearty stews and a hot cup of tea in the late afternoon.  Winter is a time to nourish in preparation for the bust of energy needed in spring.  And like the snow, the pounds will melt away as the seasons and we shift. 

This weekend we “de-Christmas -ed” the house, which always leads to clearing out the old to make room for the new.  Furniture moved, drawers cleaned, and closets picked through once again with an eye toward letting go of that which no longer serves.  Creating space with the intention of not allowing it to become cluttered again (check back with me in April on that).  Winter is a time of releasing.  Letting go of attachments.

So the house is cleaned, the soup is made, bills are paid….but there are still hours left in the day.  I find myself wandering around looking for something to do.  But it is unnecessary.   Winter is a time of the freedom to simply be.  Wrapped in a blanket with a good book.  Snuggled under the duvet in bed at only 9:00 because it has been dark for hours.   Hibernating.  Dreaming.

Last year I started an annual tradition of doing a 1000 piece puzzle beginning the first week of January.  Today I broke open the box, separating the pieces one by one to find the edges.  Beginning by forming the frame in which I will spend much of the next month (or two……this is a HARD one).  And as I looked for the final 3 edge pieces that somehow I had missed, I had an insight.  I needed to stop “looking” for them, and instead simply soften my gaze toward the table and “see” them……and there they each were, as if they were glowing. 

Winter is still and clear.  The skies at night are infinite.  The animals make their nightly trek through my yard, leaving only their prints in the snow as evidence.  Winter is quiet.   Winter asks us to see….not with our eyes, as the earth has drawn back its vibrant colors so as not to distract us……..but with the light of our inner vision.

See where you are…. without judgment.  See what you want…..without limitations.  And take these next couple of months to let it all settle into your bones.  Planting the seeds for growth.

Dreaming,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment