Sunday, January 26, 2014

a vacation....or a retreat

Yogis,

It has been a week since returning from my retreat in Costa Rica.  I have had a little time now to let it settle and reflect on it all.  

The week is difficult to put into words….to explain….to give others a sense of what a week retreat truly does.  The difference between going on a vacation and going on a retreat. 

I take several vacations a year.   A time to relax.  A time to see things, do things and experience new places.  Vacations often involve more sleep, less responsibilities and time with the family or friends. Typically good food and perhaps a few more beers around the pool than usual, or that afternoon bag of Cheetos on the beach….just because I can.   I love my vacations.  I return refreshed, but what I find is that 2 or 3 days back into the routine I am basically back where I started.   Vacations remove us from our day to day routine (although the unfortunate consequence of technology is that we tend to keep one foot somewhat back in the office), but can cause a sadness when we realize it is time to go back.  And there is that old adage that “I need a vacation from my vacation!”

A retreat however, has the ability to offer us true change……………

   
Our View


On the first day, as Jill and  Bob, the owners of Amatierra, described the multitude of excursions we could choose from, we all quickly voiced the ones we really wanted to do and tried to figure out how we could fit them all in.   Our “vacation” minds were still in action.  Bob told us we could simply decide what we wanted to do Monday and then make further choices later.  And then he made a comment which snapped me back to center and stuck with me all week………”the excursions are wonderful, but the real magic is right here on the property, up there in the yoga space.  That’s where you want to be”. 

The small wellness center of AmaTierra – lovely earth – has amazing healing energy.  A hum.  And as the days began to pass, that hum began to settle into my bones. 

During morning yoga as the sunrise would reach the tree tops, the cicadas began their vibration which remained steady and strong until sun set during evening yoga.  And as we would lie on our backs in Savasana, watching the moon rise over the mountain, the bats would swoop down into the studio from the glass cupola on their way out for the evening.  The 3 toucans would land daily like clockwork on the solitary tree we faced as we practiced, resting for a few moments as if to greet.  All of our surroundings simply moving in unison with the natural rhythms of the sun and the moon. 

Once  the dark had settle in, we sat up from Savasana to be led in evening meditation by Jill, bathed by the vibration of her crystal singing bowls.  A time to soak.  To take in all of the sensations of the day. To feel and go inward.

I had a Thai massage by free spirited Rebecca and an extremely healing hands on session by Tanya, an incredible young woman trained by shamans.  Her touch released deep emotions being held in my body, inviting me to dive even deeper to uncover what it is that I want.  She brought things to the surface.  Unplugging from society to tune in to what is always inside….but often low on the priority list. 

By Wednesday evening we had decided we didn’t want to go on any more excursions.  That yes, the magic was right there. 

Neva kept reminding us to bring the hum around us, nature’s song, inside.  To open up to resonate with our surroundings, so there is no longer an inside and an outside.  No longer separate.  Union with all that is. And we would all stand there together and breathe that in. 

Organic home cooked meals, movement, meditation and breath.  A retreat nourishes……the body, the mind and the soul.  So on Saturday morning when  it was time to prepare for the journey home it wasn’t with that let down that I often experience at the end of a vacation.  Instead it was with the anticipation of taking this new rhythm home with me to see what I am capable of doing with it.  A lightness. 

So I returned to Storm Janus – the Roman god of January – who represents transitions and beginnings.  Entrances and doorways.  And I returned different.  My vibration has changed.  A shift.  Another new beginning.  Yes, I had to go back to work.  Yes, I am doing laundry and cooking dinner.  But all  from a different place. 

Thank you AmaTierra!  Thank you Universe!

Bob was right,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment