Sunday, January 19, 2014

........I did it!

Yogis,

Back to our regular schedule this week!  I am looking forward to being with all of you!

I have returned from a week of full immersion in the amazing healing energy of the earth.  Costa Rica is so alive that you can’t help but feel it with every cell.   Awakened each morning by the sunrise and call of the birds, practicing yoga surrounded by mountains and lush greenery, visited by the toucans, and finally lulled to sleep by the rush of the full moon winds as they blew by the open windows.   By the end of the week my rhythm and the hum of the cicadas were in perfect harmony.  Outer and inner worlds melding into one.

I wrote earlier in the month about setting intentions……one of mine being “I am a lucid dreamer.”  But another more challenging one for me was “I am facing fears.”  This trip gave me the opportunity to do just that, and I accepted.

One of my deep fears is heights.  I am fine in airplanes or tall buildings, but the very thought of stepping close to a ledge (even with a railing), or looking down through a crack to see space below, ignites fear.   But when I heard zip lining was an activity we could choose, I chose it….and I did it!


Everyone raves about zip lining but this was not about having fun for me.  Standing on that platform at the top of the mountain, high above the trees and hanging only from a cable was terrifying.  So I watched…..as my heart began to race, my skin began to tingle and my voice became shaky.  I watched.  And I noticed.  When there is fear you are completely and utterly present.  Focused.  There is no “monkey mind” when you are in its grip.  I watched and then I jumped………only to have to do it 12 more times!

I watched the night before when lying in bed how the mind began its dance of worry.  Maybe you can back out!  What if you get there and just can’t do it?  What the heck were you thinking!   Each time I would exhale and release the thoughts, only to see them bubbling to the surface again.  Awake and aware.

In the morning as the time drew closer I told the others in my group that I would need their support.  I voiced my fear out loud.  Honoring and bowing to its presence and its truth.   

Fear is constricting.  It pulls everything toward you.  Eyes widen.  Nothing else exists.  As I land on each platform and have to walk around the tree on which it is bolted, a mere foot or two of wood slats sit between me and the edge, so the trees became my best friends.  I lean into them for grounding.  For strength.  For the courage to get back up on the stepstool and leap again.  Over and over. 

Everyone asks if I wasn’t afraid by the 3rd or 4th one.  I wish I could say that was true.  But this morning I realized that my intention was “I am facing fears”, and that is what I did.  I simply faced it.  I tried to find peace in its discomfort.  It was one of the most difficult things I have done in a very long time.  But I believe that is required before you can change the intention to “I have let go of fear”. 

Emotions, whether it be fear, anger, sorrow or hurt, are waves of energy within us.  They are us.  And if we choose to turn the other way from the ones we don’t care to experience, they simply find a cozy dark place within our tissues or muscles to settle in.  They wait.  Eventually they will no longer remain quiet.   So we can choose to keep them in the dark….like the monster under the bed….or take out the flashlight and invite them to tea. 

Before I left I wrote about letting something go in order to make room for the new.  And guess what??????  

Last night on my first night back in my own bed I was in the midst of a beautiful and vivid dream when I suddenly said to myself – Am I dreaming?  And the answer I came back with was YES!  Deeply dreaming, yet awake and aware.  I did it!  I was having a lucid dream!!!

Thank you, thank you Universe!  Anything is possible if only you see it and move toward it with an unwavering focus, an open heart and complete faith.  Makes me realize that I need to think even bigger J

So what is it that you want?

Feeliing expansive and brave,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment