Sunday, February 28, 2021

.....change isn't hard

Yogis,
I was out for a walk with Phoebe the other morning, a little after 6am. A cold crisp morning where yesterday’s melt was once again a nearly invisible sheen of ice, blanketing the street and driveways. Carefully planting my feet with each step. Gaze set to the ground. Heel toe, heel toe.

The human world still snuggled in bed with the slowly brightening sky lighting my path. Such a gift after months of dark morning walks. A sure sign of springs approach. Looking up I could see that yesterday’s clouds were thinning, edged in coral, with little peaks of baby blue exposed as they floated overhead.

I hear the first robin’s chirp break the morning silence. A cardinal quickly follows. Another whistles in response. And another…..until the air that surrounds me is filled with their chatter. I can feel their excitement that yet another new day has arrived and it makes them all want to sing! They in turn awaken in me the same sentiment. I lift my gaze and chin skyward, spread my chest and emanate out my greeting of Happy New Day! To the birds. To the Universe. To all humans whose eyes have net yet opened to witness this newness.

I stood still as an image flooded in of everyone experiencing this exact same thing with me. All of us. Everywhere. As each person arose and placed their feet on the earth they heard the birds and joined into the song.

That we had all awoken on this particular day, a day which otherwise may have gone unnoticed,  and collectively decided that we were ready for monumental change. That this magnificent morning was the one we were choosing. Eager to let go of everything that has happened and move forward with a new way of being. Together.

As we encountered others on the street we would rush in to hug and share this new joy. Those that have been our friends, those that hadn’t and even those we don’t know. Stripping off our coats that labeled us Republican or Democrat, Catholic or Muslim. Letting the wind blow off the brainwashing that has convinced us who is right and who is wrong. Seeing everyone as what they are…..another human who yearns to be loved, accepted and filled with joy. Can you see it?

I know, I know. This is only a dream, right? Too simplistic. The vision is created and held for only a split second before the mind begins to list all of the buts and cants. The world doesn’t work like that. Change is hard and can’t happen overnight. Baby steps we are told.

But why, I ask. Why?

We always hear that change is hard. It’s hard to switch to a healthy diet. It’s hard to maintain an exercise program. It’s hard to meditate and quiet the mind. Yet when you think about it, change cannot be ‘hard’.

Every single thing in life is changing with every breath you take. Nothing stays the same. Even the body you woke up in will not be the one that lies down tonight. Change is quite easy, and we live it every single moment. Resisting change? Now that is a challenge.

Let’s rewrite the story! Change is not hard. We can at any moment choose to flow into the sea of possibilities with ease.  

I am going to hold on to my vision and maybe you will join me. And like the robins and cardinals, another of you will respond back. And another and another until our collective joy fills the morning air.

Good morning birds,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment