Sunday, March 7, 2021

.....turning the corner

Yogis,
As I walk down my block, bundled up from head to toe, a small splash of purple catches my eye. I lean down and am greeted by a small patch of lilac crocuses who have pushed their way up through a dense layer of matted leaves. Look at me, they each waved! At that moment I knew a corner had been turned.

Doesn’t it feel that same way with the pandemic? As if we are all still bundled up from head to toe with caution and quiet, yet small signs popping up that we are now heading in a new direction. That although we still don’t have the clear line of sight down the next path, the corner has been turned.

What is ahead?

I have been asking people recently what they see down this road. The answers I get are varied but I have this sense that we are somehow waiting for ‘them’ to decide. That we will be guided to what the ‘new normal’ looks like. I think we may have it all wrong.

We are now at the one year anniversary which I find impossible to believe. I look back and see the many challenges but also incredible gifts.  Gifts I am not sure I am eager to put in the rear view mirror in these coming months. I take stock of now. Of this moment. What is serving me well that I will pack up to take with me down this new path, and what will I leave behind.  

How about you?

I have been asking people if they look forward to going back to the office. I know that for many young people the social aspect will have them eager to put back on the suit. Those a bit more established though, when I offer up the possible options, are mainly landing on the hybrid option. A couple days in person for personal contact, collaboration and to get out of the house, but the rest exactly as they are doing them now. Are we letting management know this, or are we sitting back and waiting for instructions?

Most of us have broadened our cooking repertoire and find we may be eating healthier. I notice on my early runs that houses are pitch black as everyone gets that extra sleep that having a commute the length of a flight of stairs offers. The trails I walk which use to be silent are now bustling as families, including even teenagers, head into nature. Driving to errands is effortless. Which of these will we insist must come.

Those with second homes are spending weeks and even months there. Living a life now they only imagined a year ago. Taking a ‘vacation’ even while working in airbnbs, on farms and in camper vans.

Yes, we want our children back in school, but maybe the top of that desk you set up in their bedroom can remain, transformed into their own art center or a space for ongoing puzzles. The table you shifted out to your porch might just stay there. Maybe the formal living room will never go back to being that. What do you want?

In my personal world I have been teaching all online. What felt awkward a year ago, has now become a beautiful community of yogis, including faraway friends and family since distance is no longer an obstacle. Students who could only make one physical class a week a year ago, now join in four times.  I form my vision for hybrid as well. The lights strung in the great room are staying. Building fires ever night this winter will continue next year. New painting habit…..coming along.

What do you want this new world to look like? Be sure you are taking the time to create your vision and then speak up! Consciously choose where this trail leads.  Don’t wait for directions……

I will ditch the six foot distance for many more hugs,
SARAH

 

No comments:

Post a Comment