Sunday, March 21, 2021

......determined daffodil

Yogis,
Hooray, there they are! Two weeks ago I saw my first bluebells peeking their heads up on a trail I take by the river. I know it’s now only a matter of time before I will be standing in a sea of purple flowers that make me feel like I am in a fairy tale. But from that first sighting until I feel like Snow White, there will be starts and stops. It can seem like an eternity.

This week I didn’t even go to check on them because I knew there wouldn’t be much change. The temperature had dropped and skies were gray and I knew they would be pausing for the time to be right. What’s the hurry, they ask? Many of the plants do that. We get our hopes up, only to have to wait until they feel ready.

But not Miss Daffodil!

When I think of spunky plants, daffodil definitely comes to mind. In late winter, hers are among the first green shoots we see rising from the earth and from that moment on she continues her march forward. No pausing for daffodil.

Heavy snow landing on her. No problem….. she uses her strong neck to lift her head through the ice. Obstacles are not going to get her down. Freezing nights after she bloomed. No problem….as she stoically stands still amongst her crowd to conserve energy so that as the sun rises she can greet us with her wide open sunny smile. Strong March winds. No problem…..she is flexible.

To me she feels like the herald of spring and she isn’t getting to let anything get in her way!

After living in our old house for 10 years I decided to have the overgrown brush from the side yard cleared so I could plant a garden. The next spring an enormous bunch of eager daffodils burst out of the ground, shaking off ten years of dirt and grateful that they could finally rise again. They made me happy.

There are woods behind my house which slope down to a small creek. Each spring at the bottom of the hill, with no effort on my part, I am greeted by several patches of daffodils, in a charming hidden garden. I try to imagine how they arrived there. Did the owner of this house choose to plant them there many years ago? Or are they transplants from the squirrels who have that knack of burying and forgetting. However they got there, I am glad they did.

Danny, my neighbor from next door, was an incredible gardener. His yard a rainbow of color. Since his passing, the property has been torn up. Trees taken down, bushes removed, front yard leveled and twelve foot holes dug for piping. It is now a dirt wasteland waiting for the old house to be taken and a new home built. Yet there they are……..

I am walking by and yellow catches my eye. Could it be? Of course! His daffodils are standing tall and shining their light on everyone that passes by. I wave. They make me smile. Danny would absolutely love this!

You can try, but it is pretty darn hard to keep a daffodil down. She is simple, yet strong, hardy, resilient and oh so very cheerful. I bow to you Ms Daffodil……

Cheers to daffodil!
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment