Sunday, February 14, 2021

.....wintery mix

Yogis,
This week a small gift of appreciation arrived at my door from a company with whom we do business. Enclosed was a card which read ‘Looking ahead to better times and better weather!’ I totally understood the intent. Having now come out the other end of 2020 I often hear talk of better times coming. Add in wintery mix as our predominant weather forecast lately, and I hear the implied wish for the return of sunny skies.

For some reason though, as I read it something about it did not sit right.

We seem to be in the wintery mix weather pattern. One moment hearing the patter of rain on the roof, and the next the click click click of ice hitting the windows. Looking over my shoulder I glimpse a quick burst of snow. Once I think it has all stopped, I look closer only to see light freezing rain. Winter’s complete bundle.

I started to notice that each time I mentioned it to anyone, I was adding the prefix ‘dreaded’ to its name, making my feelings clear. In discussions I badmouthed it, couldn’t imagine why we would want it and clearly wasn’t looking very hard for a good side.

Yesterday morning I headed out on my run with hopes of beating the incoming weather back to the house. Pausing on my tree seat, my head back and eyes closed, I felt the first drop of rain. Another. And another. An ice pellet hits my nose. The sky is nondescript. My hands are cold. Even the birds get quiet.

“Is it only a good day when the sun is shining?” the universe asks. “Are you only happy when skies are clear? Will the bitter cold temperatures turn this day into a bad day? If I create warmth for you every day will your life be fuller? Will your worries melt away?”

I stayed to listen.

“Are they not all gifts?” the universe continued. “Without the life-giving rain you would go thirsty. Wouldn’t something be missing without ice for your drink on those hot summer days? What would it be like to never glide on frozen ponds or see the intricacies hidden in an icicle?  Or is it that they are only gifts when they arrive on your terms?”

“Have you forgotten that you always have the power to create your own sunshine?”

Sigh. Of course, once again you are right. We want to be very wary when we find ourselves waiting for better days and better weather. We could be waiting a lifetime. This day, this life and all of its messiness is a gift, and our happiness is not determined by how it arrives. That light can only be created on the inside whether it be a perfect spring day or a gray February morning blanketed by wintery mix.

I headed home and changed into my favorite oversized wool sweater. I set up a cozy sitting space in which to paint, read and drink my hot tea. Able to look out the window and watch as the world was transformed into a winter wonderland. It was a joy filled day.

Nope, I am not waiting for better times or better weather.

Grateful for wintery mix……
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment