Sunday, March 29, 2020

.....a dog's life


Yogis,
I have been spending my social distancing weekends at our beach house. We head down on Friday and back on Monday simply to have a change of scenery and different air. In both locations we hunker down. Cooking our own meals, watching movies and taking walks on the beach. Until there was a 72-degree sunny day.

A week ago Friday was spectacular, which meant that everyone quickly forgot about the pandemic and rushed with chairs in hand to sit in the sand. Lines formed for ice cream and French fries while families strolled the boardwalk. I witnessed this from afar. Needless to say, the next day the governor ordered the beaches and boardwalk to be shut down.

With two exceptions…..exercise or walking your dog.

That was the moment I first realized that this current wave we are riding is a hey day for the dogs. Their rights now even greater than our own.
I watched as rules for cities and countries on lock down allowed people to leave their home for a lone walk with their dog, and if multiple people lived there, one walk with the dog for each was approved. Yes!!! yelled the dogs.

Dogs typically left alone for hours on end while the family heads to school and work are now
surrounded, petted, talked to and entertained. One friend told me that in her new daily schedule she has a time where she creates stimulating games for her dog. Whatever will our beloved pups do when this all comes to an end?

Adoptions from shelters and offers to foster are skyrocketing as those who live alone look to a dog for companionship. A listening ear and a love of snuggling when anxiety sets in. Oh….and they are now allowed to go for a walk.

In our home, Phoebe gets her typical run with me and then only an hour later, one with my husband. Her daily trip to the creek or river is still on the agenda and whenever I can’t figure out anything to do…. I grab the leash and we go for walk.  This week alone she has frolicked through the bluebells, swam in the river, chased eagles on the beach and somehow snatched the best seat in the house every time we get ready to settle in for a movie.
     
By nighttime, she is a puddle in her bed.

Come morning though, as I open one eye she’s up and leaping
in the air with joy, eager for whatever adventures this day will bring. Yes, these are indeed the dog days of 2020.

I am practicing being as grateful and enthusiastic for each day as my dog.

Om,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment