Sunday, March 15, 2020

....the world continues to spin


Yogis,
There are so many things I love about this time of year. One of them is its effect on my meditation practice. In March from 6:30 to 7 am there is a big shift around us, and I get the chance to witness it.

As I get settled in my seat and close my eyes, the world is still asleep. Everything sits quiet and dark. A half hour later as my eyes blink open, it is light. Morning has arrived and the world is fully alive. While in between the two I get to sense the transition.

On Friday as I sat, I heard the call of one bird as he broke the night’s silence. A lone voice against an empty backdrop. A few seconds later another. Within minutes there was a chorus. I knew without the need to ‘see’ that morning had indeed broken as they say. Not only by the songs of the birds but also their enthusiasm in welcoming in the day that lay ahead.

At that moment it hit me that while we humans are all navigating through challenging uncharted territory, the rest of the natural world continues along untouched. It gave me great comfort.
While we all change our patterns, watch the news and settle into a subtle state of uneasiness, the deer watch casually from the backyard while nibbling my plants. Meetings and handshakes have been cancelled, yet the raccoons still high five each other as they once again figure out how to get the ‘locking’ top off my trashcan. The bluebells bloom and the moon shines on me as I sleep. This all brings me comfort.

There is a steadiness in nature that can be called on at these times. For now, since I am asked to no longer hug another, perhaps I will nestle up to one of my beech trees. The social distancing rule of six feet does not apply when burying your nose in one of the numerous flowers beginning their annual bloom or to sitting so close to a stream that you can see the bottom. This virus can not be caught through nature.

In these days ahead, as any anxiousness or fear begins to bubble up, walk out the door and watch the clouds go by. They know not about this pandemic. Gather with the trees, stand under the warmth of the sun and sing with the birds. Be witness to the newness that spring unveils, not only from one day to the next, but even hour to hour.  And find comfort in the fact that the world that surrounds you continues to spin undisturbed.

Watching the dependable busyness of the squirrels,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment