Sunday, April 5, 2020

.....like there's no tomorrow


Yogis,
A family in our community has a large bulletin board hanging next to their front door and they occasionally write messages. If you are paying attention, you can read from the street.  This morning I was running Phoebe down to the river so we could check in on the goings on down there and I passed the sign. 

'Live today like there’s no tomorrow'

How many times have you seen or heard that quote over the years? Of course it is a lovely idea, but it often can seem a wee bit trite. Pie in the sky. Something that would be in a sappy romance movie. But then these aren’t normal times. 

I don’t believe there has been any other time in my life, except perhaps that first week after 9/11, where the truth that tomorrow could possibly not exist planted itself in front of me and looked me square in the eye. And that even if tomorrow exists, it’s anyone’s guess about the next day, next week, next month, or even if any will resemble the day we live today. Tomorrow is an unknown.

Yet that is how it always is. Those are the spiritual teachings. That the only moment that exists is this one right now. This one that your body is occupying as you read this note. This moment where you can hear your own breath and feel your heartbeat. This is why meditation has been around for centuries. Humans trying to find the path back to this moment, because it is the only one that is real and can be lived.
The odds are in our favor that the vast majority of us will still have many more tomorrows, but I want to hear the messages from this extraordinary time and dive into them. This is a blessing we are all being offered, hidden among the many challenges. To live ‘this day’ like there’s no tomorrow.  

So, I am not going to sit around and wait for this to be over. I want to live each and every day vividly which is why I am running in the mornings to the river to see the goings on, getting my hands in the dirt, leaning against trees and lying in the grass. Opening my eyes and heart each morning with the mantra of ‘Grateful for this day….’ And I am.

I needed a picture for this post. After I finished writing we went for a hike and came upon the remains of an old building hidden in the woods. A crumbled doorway from some other day in time seemed the perfect backdrop. Only after it was snapped did I see the words written to the right. 

Yes, I intend to live like there is no tomorrow.

Thank you for this day!
SARAH

ps. Living fully doesn’t always mean joyfully….it also includes sobbing alone in the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment