Sunday, September 29, 2019

.....sunny lemon balm


Yogis,
I heard a new weather term today – ‘flash drought’. Supposedly that it was what we are in right now in the Washington DC area. It’s scientific definition is a drought that comes out of nowhere and isn’t on anyone’s radar. You really have to laugh sometimes.

The entire month of September saw only .11 inches of rain, which I can attest to by how many hours I stood in front of my garden with the hose nozzle directed at all of my plant friends.  My arm would start to ache, although I will say it did give me the chance to notice each and every one of them individually as I assessed their particular moisture needs.  But even with my tender care everyone is drying out.

Add to that the small herd of deer that has set up camp in the woods directly behind me. At night when I’m getting in bed I can hear them stirring and picture them heading right for the garden under the cover of darkness. Mornings I now find entire arms of my Mexican sunflowers missing and my poor Clary Sage took a real beating this week.

I knew I better get serious about making any final plant medicines while I had the chance! This week I was blessed to spend a couple of days with delightful lemon balm………
When anyone asks me about lemon balm my immediate response is that she is like the sun. When life is suddenly feeling a little dreary, things feel sort of stuck, and your spirits are low, that is where she shines! Her presence is like the parting of the heavy dark clouds that at times inevitably make their way through.

Lemon balm is in the mint family (remember square stems). She is a lovely light green simple looking upright clumping plant who blooms small white flowers and returns year after year with very minimal care. Her seeds will often germinate additional plants close by or at times halfway across the yard. She is even happy in a pot. In fact she always seems happy!

Throughout the summer I place her cuttings in vases throughout the house and she adds a delightful flavor to your water. This week I sat with her to make both an infused oil which I will use in salves (my first time which is exciting) and then the next day I chopped her leaves and stems to soak in brandy for a tincture. Strong, yet gentle medicine.


Simply being around her brightens my day! That’s the joy of plant medicine. Brushing my hair back from my face the aroma of lemon on my hands is intoxicating. No one can inhale her scent and not find a smile on their face.  But when life calls for a little more help she is right there. Some drops of the tincture under the tongue or in water each day can work wonders. And what I have noticed is that when I forget to take her……it means she has done her job. The sun is once again shining!

Lemon balm is also used for anxiety, stress, stomach upset and insomnia. Her influence is calming and cheerful. As the days get shorter in this often melancholy season of fall, if you decide you might like to meet or try her in a tincture, let me know. I would be happy to introduce you!

The forecast is for sunny days ahead,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment