Monday, September 2, 2019

.......sand in my sleeping bag


Yogis,
Another successful two-day camping trip to Assateague Maryland is in the books.  An island south of Ocean City, Assateague is best known for its wild horses. I am not sure if this was the fourth or fifth year, but it has clearly become a marker on my end of summer calendar.

Once again, I was blessed with an east breeze meaning no mosquitoes or biting flies. Thank you Universe..…. But there was a mixture of wind, sun, rain, cool breezes and one gorgeous sunset.

As I woke on day two, I realized that in order to enjoy camping, with the added layer of camping at the beach, there are certain things you have to be OK with. You don’t necessarily have to love them, but you can’t be irritated or upset by them, or there really is no point in going. Here is the list I came up.

You have to be ok with:
·        Setting up a tent and other camping contraptions that love to take off in the wind….while there is wind.
·        Being outside for 48 straight hours and accepting whatever weather Mother Nature throws your way with grace. Even the 2 am rainstorm which leaves a small puddle in the tent.
·        Having all your belongings slightly damp in the morning.
·        Having you slightly damp in the morning.
·        Being hot…..being cold
·        Taking a shower but then having to stick your sandy foot through your pant leg, ensuring that you have sand – well, everywhere.
·        Being dirty, no matter how many showers you take
·        Feeling completely dependent on a flashlight for your every move after 8pm
·        Sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag that is of course, sandy.
·        Squatting outside the tent during the night and hoping no one is watching you, among several other concerns that this position brings up –  multiple times a night if you are my age

So why do I do it? How could all of this bring me enjoyment?

The second night as I snuck out of the tent for the third time the sky had finally cleared. There was a chilly breeze and I stood in utter awe of the infinite stars above. For a moment time stood still.
Being sweaty, dirty and sandy with nothing between me and the sky above makes me feel alive! I am offered a sense of connection to something greater. It stirs me.


I know camping is not for everyone, but there is something that makes each of us feel alive. That fills you with pure and simple joy all the way to your core. Those things that cause you to tingle and your heart to flutter.

What is that for you? Have you made time for it lately? If not, put that marker on your calendar. Life is meant to be lived.

Still finding sand in my ears,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment