Sunday, July 29, 2018

........tiptop toes


Yogis,
I still have feet on my mind. More specifically, the toes. I wonder if I have a foot fetish?

While I was in Vancouver, one of the Yin postures we practiced was called ‘Toe Squat’. You get down on your knees with the legs together and curl your toes under so you are on the ball of the foot. Slowly you begin sending the weight of the hips back over the heels. Only until you begin to feel something. That first sensation. The beginning of discomfort.

For some, the hands will still be on the ground with a rounded back. Many may put their hands on the knees while others will be able to place their entire upper body weight on the toes by sitting upright on the heels.  It doesn’t matter. What counts is simply having the toes curled under and being able to stay for about a minute or even eventually two.  If you are feeling it, you are doing it. If after 10 seconds you have to come out……..well, you went too far. Back up.
I have been doing this as a daily practice as it helps to wake up the toes, open the bottoms of the feet, stretch the shins and strengthen the arch and ankles. I also include it now as part of each class. 

At first there were moans. Then groans. But onward we go. Doing it. Over and over. Allowing the magic of time, not our pushing, to create the change. Practicing patience.

Each time I queue the pose I remind everyone to make sure the pinkie toe goes along for the ride, as it often prefers to hang back and do nothing. It wasn’t until about two weeks ago though, that as I said it I actually looked under at my toes and much to my surprise, the pinkie toe had not been joining in! Sly little devil. I find that I must slide a finger under it each time and invite it to come forward to join the rest. You might even find that with the fourth toe.

It has been over three months for me and my toes are delighted! I began noticing real changes about a month ago and each week my feet feel different. Not sure I can put it in words other than to say my feet feel more alive, flexible and strong. I can make new movements with my toes and can draw the big toe away from the second toe with ease which I believe can help prevent bunions and other aging toe issues. 

This can be quite intense so be gentle with yourself. You can always put a blanket under the knees if the knees are sensitive. Don’t stay too long. Be ok with discomfort but remember….no pain!

Your ten little toes who you ask so much of each day will thank you.

Happy feet,
SARAH



Bee-ing me!


No comments:

Post a Comment