Sunday, August 5, 2018

.......hanging out with dragonfly


Yogis,
It’s dragonfly season! 

They are everywhere. Skimming over the river, darting above the fields and landing on the tips of my plants. Clothed in vivid iridescent colors with paper thin wings and tails that seem to go on forever.  

Born in the water and later taking flight, dragonflies are creatures of both air and water. Able to fly up to 45mph, change direction in an instant, hover like a helicopter and even fly backward. Their spiritual meaning is one of transformation and adaptability. Bringing dragonfly into your life will aid in your ability to make life changes mid flight. A metamorphosis when the time is right.

Their gracefulness in the air reminds us to keep a lightness in life. To stop taking ourselves so seriously and add in more joy. She can also help shed light on your life. The dragonfly’s connection with water also asks you to tap into your deeper emotions. 

I spend a lot of time with insects since they spend a lot of time with my plants.  Each with their own personalities and habits. Dragonflies are one of my favorites. Unique looking, harmless and oh so social…….
Over the years I have photographed many and what I have come to discover is they seem to enjoy it!  It is as if they are posing.  They hold very still and follow my lens with their bubble shaped eyes. As I talk to them during a shoot they often cock their head, trying to decipher the odd sounds spilling from my mouth.

Getting the perfect shot often takes time and periodically they will fly off as if to stretch their wings, landing right back in position only a moment later. No need to chase them, I have learned to wait. They are excellent models. 

This one and I had a quick conversation before she flew off.  I thought perhaps we were done, only to find her back in front of me with her lunch.  As I watched her eat in silence I could hear her chewing.  If you turn up the volume you may hear her too.  What a gift to share in a meal.

Yet again I am in deep awe and gratitude for what sits right outside my door. Dragonfly is magical.

Next time you see a dragonfly nearby, pause. Look her in the eye and say hello. See what messages she may have carried to you today.

Munch, munch,
SARAH


No comments:

Post a Comment