Sunday, July 1, 2018

.......beachcombing


Yogis,
I stood at the edge of the ocean. Sand between my toes. The squawk of the seagulls above. Sun on my quickly bronzing skin. The water rushed in encircling my ankles and then just as quickly retreating back from whence it came. 

Beachcombing. The act of ‘an individual combing the beach and intertidal area for things of value, interest or utility.’ I was there to see what I could find, but in the process discovered that beachcombing mimics life.

Like the inhale, the incoming waves bringing in the new. Colors, shapes, textures. A broken conch shell, seaweed, crab claws. Making the unseen - seen.  Forming an intricate collage in the sand. Followed by the exhale of the outgoing waves. Taking that which was no longer needed. The heaviness burying my feet deeper in the sand.  The collage changed forever in a single breath. A single wave.  A single moment.
Impermanence. Three feet ahead I spot a piece of driftwood rushing in with the foam, but in the brief moment it takes my feet to free themselves and propel me forward, it’s gone. It may return…..but then again, it may not. Attachment causes suffering.

When I first comb the beach I am looking. It can be dizzying as I scan in search of that treasure. Expectations. But as I slow the breath, slow the steps and soften the eyes I begin to make the shift to seeing. Just as I am able to ‘look’ at you or ‘see’ you, I begin to see the life that lies at my feet. Imagining the history. Wondering what brought them here before me at this precise time. Our paths crossing. Seeing vs looking.

I remembered hearing over the week that there were sand dollars.  As I stood at the edge of the ocean taking pictures of the flow of the tide and the gifts it was bringing, I visualized the pattern a sand dollar holds. My camera suddenly focuses on a white shape. Had it been there all along or was I finally seeing? Had my vision brought it here? Reminded that each breath is a chance for something amazing, I pull it toward me.
The incoming tide in late morning. Strong, fierce, filled with life. We move our chairs, umbrellas, bags and shoes back….but never enough. Three times. Four times we move. Underestimating its power.

Before long an outgoing tide. Noticing that as time passed, the waves no longer reaching the same distance, items washed in become still. Drying in the heat of the baking sun above. No longer so rich in color. Left behind. For now.

A horseshoe crab that washed up earlier. I watch as each family who passed tried to save him. Placing him back into the edge of the water.  Urging him to swim. Attached. Not wanting to allow the death that was so clearly approaching. As the tide retracts he is finally allowed to rest and be with whatever is to come. Not unlike dusk or the fall which becomes winter.

Time passes. Only to begin all over again. Each day. Every day. Every breath.

I watch my feet, since where they are, is where I am. Here. Now. Perfect.

Beachcombing,
SARAH

Reiki

Those who come, tend to come back......
Come spend an hour with me.
Still $40 so you can experience it.






No comments:

Post a Comment