Sunday, June 24, 2018

.......Ms Mugwort


Yogis,
I can’t remember exactly how or when Ms Mugwort and I were introduced.

Known as Artemisia Vulgaris, I first got to know her along the edge of the C&O canal.  She is a fairly low lying green plant with toothed leaves spreading out from her center stem. You probably wouldn’t notice her when walking by. She gets a little bushy later in the season and sends up a taller stalk with small white flowers.   

I only remember hearing that mugwort was helpful for vivid dreaming. Which was all I needed to pull her into my life…….
I have never been much of a dreamer. An occasional dream here and there, always in black and white and often something slightly scary. Being chased, falling, finding myself nude in an inappropriate place, or everyone’s personal favorite, walking into a room for a final exam and realizing with horror that I never attended the class.


I knew there was much more to dreaming that I was missing out on and Ms Mugwort seemed to be the assistant I needed.  She is known as a psychic herb and even had a cameo appearance in Harry Potter.  Mugwort is known for her magic.

First, I began pinching off a portion of a plant while out walking and sliding it into my pillowcase, under the pillow.  There it would remain until I changed my pillowcase (note to self to remember she is in there or you find shreds of dried mugwort in your washing machine and clean clothes.) Eventually I dug up a couple of small plants and placed them in the northern quadrant of my medicine wheel near my sage – both plants who guide us to relax the thinking mind and open ourselves to higher insight and wisdom. 

Soon I began cutting and drying her tops so she could continue her teaching over the winter.  Using a teaspoon of the dried herb to make a cup of tea before bed will also open the mind to new experiences. 

I can tell you she does her job quite well! My dreams, often in color now, have depth, feeling, new places, experiences and messages.  Many times a dream will stay with me for the entire day, or linger even longer. The majestic male lion who had men’s green fishing boots on because he had accidently stepped into them and couldn’t get them off.  Lying in a tub of warm water and being lifted and asked to let go. Sensations of floating, connection, touch and color.

As I sit here typing this I glanced up only to realize she is watching me from the vase of flowers and herb cuttings I brought here to the beach with me. She is also a good travelling companion!

I am not sure how I met Ms Mugwort.  But I do know we will remain friends. I would love to introduce you to her……..

Under her spell,
SARAH



No comments:

Post a Comment