Sunday, October 2, 2016

......bathing in being

Yogis,

Greece, here I come! The bags are packed and the Uber app is downloaded (am I the last one on earth?).  Ready to fly out shortly for eight glorious days.
A trip prompted by my college roommate stationed in Athens for three years. With each assignment she has had over the years, I hoped to visit and never made it happen. But this time I visualized, said aloud I was going and then took the leap. Picked a date and booked the flights. 

Then it was time to plan the trip.  Various suggestions came my way.  A three day bus trip to several archaeological sites.  A day long ferry that visited three islands.  Mykonos, Crete, Delphi, Rhodes……. All must sees. I began feeling overwhelmed.  Picturing getting up each day to rush to some form of transportation to get me to my next destination.  Buses, planes and boats. Looking at and hearing a lot of history and then dropping into bed at night. It didn’t feel right.

We settled on having only two locations so we can unpack and stay. Athens and Santorini. Ok, first decision made. But then what?

The last few weeks have gone by. I thought maybe I should buy a book on Greece. Trip Advisor could tell me what I shouldn’t miss. I could call friends who have gone. But I did nothing. Nothing. Everyone I told about the trip has asked what we are going to ‘do’ there.  I had no answers.

It finally hit me. I don’t want to ‘do’ Greece.  I want to ‘experience’ Greece.  I want to soak in her energy. 

My life at home requires quite a bit of doing so it takes consistent conscious effort to find the space for experiencing. Reserving the sacred time each day to live life as a human ‘be-ing’. When deep in the ‘doing’ the senses dull. When bathing in ‘being’ they bloom to become the gateway to experiencing life.

So I leave with no plans. No expectations. I want to rise when it feels right. Wander the streets and the shops. Sit in the cafes. Smell the olive oils and cheeses and float at least once in the Mediterranean Sea.  Climb the steps and sit in the temples. A blank canvas lies ahead on which the colors, smells, tastes and sounds will weave together to create a feeling sense. I want to feel Greece. 

So there will be no post next Sunday as I will still be there……perhaps eating a Greek salad and watching the sunset.

Greece, here I come,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment