Sunday, October 23, 2016

.....her arrival

Yogis,
It arrived.  I am not sure of the exact moment.  Perhaps it was while I slept.  But there is no mistake…….it has come.
Fall.

The calendar told us that fall began on September 21, but nature has her own calendar.  One that shifts and flows with her whims. But here on the east coast fall arrived and settled herself in over these last couple of days.

Thursday I was wearing a tank top, hair up and barefoot as I trimmed the garden. Today finds me in jeans, long sleeves and sneakers, as my feet sadly say goodbye to the earth for a while. The blanket has been put back on the bed and the wide open bedroom window has been lowered to a crack.

She rode in on the gusty winds.  Over one afternoon the car was blanketed in pine needles and the endless fall game of ‘pick up sticks’ began in earnest.  Natures pruning.  Leaves which were still deep green early this week suddenly became tinged with yellow, orange and scarlet…….a preview of what lies ahead.  Each step I take now crackles with dried leaves and acorn shells.  And each morning I find the piles of dirt dug out from my potted plants as the squirrels try to remember where the heck they hid those nuts. The pumpkin ales which have been on the shelves for several weeks now, finally appear appealing. 

One of my favorite experiences in the coming of fall are the dense flocks of blackbirds that migrate through my property. Hundreds, perhaps thousands arrive all at once darkening the sky.  Landing in the trees, shaking out the acorns. Squawking and flapping the noise is deafening. As soon as I hear them in the distance I run out to be in their midst.  It feels as if a cyclone has arrived. Then just as quickly they take off leaving behind a sense of quiet and emptiness. They know fall is here.

Fall is the drying season. You can see that clearly in the leaves and plants, but you can also feel it in your skin.  Time to bring back out the sesame and coconut oils to lather on.  The season to begin putting more warmth and substance into the diet. A move from raw to cooked, from light foods to those with substance. Stews and soups. Curries. An afternoon cup of tea. 

Oh, I almost forgot.  One more sure sign of the coming of fall (..ahem) is when these guys begin to rise from my mulch pile……………….no words necessary.
Fall is here.  I can hear, smell and taste her.  Welcome!

Butternut squash soup tonight,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment