Sunday, October 16, 2016

......feeling life

Yogis,

I went.  I experienced.  I noticed.  I loved.  Greece.  Aaaaahhhhhhh………………..

I have spent these last few days in the firestorm of re-entry, feeling the tension slowly finding its way back into my shoulders.  I close my eyes to remember.  Breathing and reopening my senses. What did I ……..

See……..
Sunsets so spectacular that no human could possibly imagine such a thing existed if they hadn’t witnessed one.  Thank you Universe! The lighting of the Parthenon from a rooftop restaurant as the sky turned pink.  Stunning red cliffs.  Barren hills. What I didn’t see….policemen.

Smell……
Donkey.  Wherever I ventured in Santorini it was clear when I was getting close. Earthy. Real. Spices. Lit candles in the churches.  A variety of olive oil soaps as I selected my favorite one.

Taste…….
More Greek salads in one week then I believe I have had in my life.  Each with its own subtle variation in flavor.  Feta. Olives. Honey. The saltiness of the Mediterranean.  A shot of grappa at lunch courtesy of the waiter.  My late afternoon cappuccino fredos. Crazy Donkey beer.

Hear……
A bird that sings in the middle of the night as I lie there hoping to at some point actually sleep.  Ringing church bells as I open my eyes on Sunday.  Greek.  Lots of Greek.  And since I speak not one word of the language, while the vendors talked at me as I strolled by, their voices became more of a serenade.  It allowed me to hear without listening. What I didn’t hear…..any honking of horns even in rush hour. The sound of civilized traffic.
                                                                                                                                 
Feel…….
The exhilaration of a pack of mules thundering past me as I flattened myself against the wall, their tails brushing me as the earth beneath shook.  The warmth of the people.  Their disbelief of our current election. The burning of my quads and pounding of my heart as I walked the final steps of a 550 step climb.  The buoyancy of floating on my back.  The heat of the sun.  The speed of the taxi rides as laws such as speeding are not enforced (ah yes….no policemen)

Can I remain as open to sensation here, back in my daily schedule?  I am setting this as my intention.  To lie in bed each night, close my eyes and remember what I saw, heard, smelled, tasted and felt that day.  To experience life by living it with all of my senses.  Not allowing all of the ‘doing’ and ‘thinking’ to shut out the intensity of feeling. 

Well tonight will be easy.  My friend is in town and treated me to a morning at the Korean Spa.  Now that’s a true deep dive into sensation.  Lying there with a towel covering only my eyes, being scrubbed from head to toe (including places I didn’t even know I had), doused with hot water and lathered with scented oils I thought to myself……yes I am most certainly alive!

What did you experience today?  Close your eyes and remember. 

Hello full moon,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment