Sunday, September 27, 2015

......the pope wave

Yogis,
You know the wave they do at big sporting events?  The one where  a few people stand up and wave their arms up into the air and then back down, followed by those next to them, and then those next to them. 

It takes a while to get it going.  First everyone has to notice that it is happening, then they have to decide to join in, and finally the timing has to be just right.  But when that all comes together it is a rush of energy that connects everyone there.
The pope’s visit reminded me of that.

This week began on Monday with International Peace Day and in last week’s blog I suggested that we all take a few moments that day to send out the energy of peace.  The following day the pope arrived.

I didn’t attempt the trek down into the city, but I could feel his presence right away.  Most were told to work from home so there was a pause in traffic and the frenzied DC rush.  The tv, newspaper and radio chronicled  his journey while  others who had been physically near him shared their stories. Everyone arriving  to classes with thoughts on his visit.  There was suddenly a lightness to the air.  An excitement. The wave had made its way into the suburbs. 

Possibly I felt the wave because I just completed leading the fourth week of Thank you September! – a month of guided meditation and gratitude. Or maybe it was these last two weeks of extremely deep heart opening movements that we did in classes.  Or perhaps we are all just finally ready to hear something new. 

No words of toughening, but instead of softening.  No speeches on the greatness of some, but of the good in all.  Compassion for others, not protecting ourselves.  Connections vs walls.  An open hand.  Tolerance. Love. Peace. A breath of fresh air.  The wave had brought a sense of hope. 

I noticed.  I decided I wanted to participate……..and I felt like the timing was perfect.  My arms are up in the air!  NY you were next and now it is Philly’s turn.  Have you felt it where you are?  Are you joining in?

I am at the beach and just returned from the store. A gay gentleman in front of me in line was saying ‘Pope for president’.  The wave has definitely made it to Delaware.

….posting a little early so I can go and watch the full moon rise!

There will only be peace when we find peace within ourselves,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment