Sunday, April 21, 2024

....turtle time

Yogis,
My sister always knows what books I will enjoy. That’s why after reading and falling instantly in love with ‘Of Time and Turtles’, she handed it off to me with the caveat that this one was to be eventually returned. That’s how much she connected with its main characters…..the turtles.

The book, written by Sy Montgomery, is a true story of the time she spent volunteering for a turtle rescue league. While helping heal turtles she learned about the critical role turtles play in our environment. The experience changed her life and provided hope and meaning in a world that can at times seem to be missing both. The byline of the book is ‘Mending the World, Shell by Shattered Shell.’

I finally got a chance to start the book last week and as I opened the first page my jaw dropped. A short quote sat on an otherwise empty page. ‘Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.’ The exact same quote by Laozi that I had used in my Sunday writing the week before. I knew then that this book would be a special experience for me too.

Did you know turtles walked with dinosaurs? They can live over two hundred years, sense a pond a mile away and have over 300 species. They have personalities. And they are slow……

So yesterday morning I ran to the river and spent time sitting quietly on a fallen tree watching the water go by. Shifting into turtle time. Noticing the profusion of phlox in bloom and the spring green of newly opened leaves. Closing my eyes I listened to a symphony of bird calls.

As I often do, I asked the Universe for guidance on what to write, and then as an afterthought mentioned how nice it would be to see a turtle. Thanking the river and trees I headed home.

Not an hour later I glanced out the window to find a turtle marching along the path in my medicine wheel garden! Spotlighted by the sun you couldn’t have missed it! Head high and moving with purpose.

Out I went with phone in hand for a photo shoot. Seeing this turtle in a different light than in the past. With love, respect and gratitude. I gently helped remove a small stick stuck to her face and told her how awesome she was.

Turtles look right at you.

What a gift…….
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment