Sunday, April 28, 2024

....alone time

Yogis,
My husband was away fishing the last four days. This separation only happens a few times a year. Neither of us ever had jobs that required travel and we take vacations together. He even works from home now. We see each other a lot.

When I mentioned to people that he was going, some asked if I would be alright. What would I do while he was gone. Would I be nervous. Bored. Lonely. Was I making any plans.

Many of you though, know exactly how I was feeling. Whoo Hoo!! The whole house to myself. Let the party begin!

Not that kind of party……but a party with myself. Alone for four days where I can do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it. No schedule and a very loose plan that twists and turns on a whim. A sense of freedom.

I kicked it off with a trip to my happy place. The plant nursery. I could spend hours walking through reading the labels. Or even just standing there immersed in plant energy. My plan was to buy a couple of plants but of course left with a cart full. How could I not when they were all asking to come with me? Loaded in the back we all headed home.

I then proceeded to do a couple of days of hard gardening. Digging holes. Lugging big bags of mulch around the yard. Cutting branches. Choosing where to put who I had bought and then being so happy to see them settled in. I was filthy, tired, wet and oh so content. Finally going inside each night around 6, cracking a beer (cause why not?) and watching a sappy series on Netflix.

One night involved a long soak in the tub with salts. My muscles thanked me. Music played loud while I danced in the kitchen. And in my spare time, I was ruthless in my cleaning out of some cabinets.

Oh and the food! That is where things really change when alone. Dinners involved scrambled eggs, baked sweet potatoes and delicious salads. No menu. Putting together what I felt like eating whenever I felt like eating.

By the time you read this note he will have returned and we will be back to full meals. We love spending time together and will fall quickly back into our rhythm. But (wink, wink) I am deeply grateful for the time I had alone.

Resonating with anyone?
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment