Sunday, April 7, 2024

.....as it is

Yogis,
Defined as ‘a natural tendency to behave in a certain way’, propensities develop over time and have our mind believe there is one way to act and it is the right way. We all have them. I’ve noticed one of mine.

Spring, while beautiful and so full of promise, also tests us. I returned from vacation to three glorious days of warmth and sunlight. Yes! Spring has arrived. Two days later I am bundled up with my tired winter coat, gloves and well-worn hat. Each time I open the door to a brisk wind I am annoyed. This isn’t spring.

But it is.

Warm weather returns with an Easter I touted as the perfect spring weekend. Blue skies highlight how imminent the unfurling of leaves is. With a pep in my step, I’m anxious to be outside for large chunks of time. Then…… three gloomy days filled with sporadic torrential rains. The thermometer reading low fifties, but my bones registering mid-thirties. Is it possible to not go out at all?

Annoyed. Frustrated. Wishing the days away to get to what I have decided is true spring. I realize I do this each year. Wanting spring to be something she is not. A propensity which is the root of my own suffering.

April can be cruel that way. A harsh teacher of letting things be as they are. April, however, is not the problem. Things on the outside are rarely the problem. The issues arise from our unmet expectations.

What if I change my expectations? Can I let April be what it is? Changeable, turbulent, wet and beautiful all rolled up in one messy ball. Can I go for the ride? Embrace all of her?

I woke Thursday to a crescent moon hanging in a brightening sky, framed by clouds tinged pink by the approaching sun. Stunning. Twenty minutes later fog rolls in, blanketing the world white.  Silent.  An afternoon forecast for rain and gusty winds. Blustery.  Did I mention hail?

Like life, April offers chances to let go and practice experiencing things as they are, not as we wish them to be. In the meantime, she continues to do her work preparing the earth for a bounty, unbothered by our expectations. Thank goodness.

Tonight down to 40,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment