Sunday, July 10, 2022

....ficus

Yogis,
Is it possible to have a relationship with a plant?

It’s hard to believe she and I have been together for over twenty years. I still remember her arrival. My sister-in-law was moving and didn’t have a good place to put her in the new home and asked if I would take her in. I had the perfect spot for her in the corner of our newly built family room against a wall of windows.

When she came, she was already established and I was a bit nervous. Memories flashed of the ficus my mom had when I was young. I had learned quickly that she was a temperamental type of tree. Lush green one day, yellowing the next and soon proceeding to drop every single leaf. When she is unhappy, she lets you know. She isn’t big on change and here I was giving her nothing but that.

She settled in nicely, however. Before long I began working from home and that family room became my office, so we spent much of the day together. I hung a tiny birdhouse on one of her branches. Each Christmas I strung her with twinkle lights and small silver balls. She shined.

Fourteen years ago we made the move together to the house next door and she took a prime spot in my new sun filled office. She heard every one of my conference calls and watched my daily yoga practice. Before long a reiki table made its way in front of her and she presided over us during sessions with her calming presence.

In summer she moves to the deck right outside my office door so we can still see each other. She, like I, looks best when the days are long, the air moist and the moon shines brightly. Birds land on her, occasionally a storm knocks her over and when the gutters overflow she is bent by the deluge.

A few years back, summer was extremely wet. We were having daily rains and the air was heavy. One afternoon I walked out and she had grown long stringy roots from the bottom of all of her branches! She was trying to create a banyan…… How funny!

Her health fluctuates. At least once a year she gets some sort of bug infestation and the telltale yellowing and dropping of leaves ensues. I leap into action. Spraying her with neem oil. Talking to experts at the local nursery. Wiping her leaves. Putting a crystal in the pot with her. Last year even going so far as to finally transplant her into a larger pot which I was incredibly nervous to do. She and I survived.

She has a lean to her. In her early life, one side of her trunk had softened and I was certain that at some point it would give and that would be her demise. Much to my amazement, one summer she quickly grew a strong kickstand from her trunk to the dirt, creating a new found stability. Amazing.

Somehow she always pushes through.


Friday night we had dinner on the deck before yet another rain. I glanced over and saw something yellow in her pot. On closer inspection it was an adorable mushroom. I looked it up and it is called Flowerpot Parasol. By morning I could see why.  How perfect is that!

My ficus and I have a relationship. Ups and downs and all around……. She has brought me much joy and I believe she feels the same way.

Do you have a plant relationship?
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment