Sunday, April 24, 2022

......bird song

Yogis,
We are at a time in history where it’s more critical than ever that as a species we become closer to nature. Enjoying it, yes, but something much deeper. A relationship. With a two way friendship we are more willing to give back, be okay with being inconvenienced and at times, do with less so the other can flourish.  This week I discovered another fun way of connection, quite accidentally!

Last year when I had a set of bluebirds hoping to move into my yard it was my first experience with them. I knew nothing about bluebirds. I didn’t know their nesting habits, the timing of the eggs, or most importantly, their song. So I did what we all do…..I asked google.

I was directed to Youtube where there were plenty of options of videos that have recordings of the different calls they make. Most birds have several songs.  I listened to them many times until I was sure I would recognize them when they arrived. One of those times I happened to be sitting out in the backyard.

As soon as the video started, the bluebird couple flew up into the tree above me and listened. Was it coincidence? I soon forgot about the experience.

Fast forward to this year as I watch the mom selecting the perfect nest making materials from my garden and flying back and forth to the birdhouse. I remembered the videos. I turned one on, turned up the volume and waited. I didn’t have to wait long.

The two of them began flitting back and forth between the trees near me. Answering the calls. Swooping over me. Finally getting so excited they began mating. I believe babies were made to my innocent serenade.

So, if bluebirds respond this way, how about other birds?

Next, I tried cardinals. They loved it! So much that the next day when I was outside, I swear the mom was following me around. Even other species of birds seem to fly in for the show. Small woodpeckers and robins appear to appreciate everyone’s calls. Heads tilt to the side to listen.

I am also finding that the birds are more aware of me any time I am out in the garden now, and me of them. They sit closer and watch what I am doing. Sometimes I even feel like they are asking for an encore. And in the process, I am learning their language. A win-win. The beginnings of a lifelong conversation.

Give it a try! Select some birds that you know are probably nearby, turn up the volume and sit still. Be patient and try several times. 

Report back!

Interconnected,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment