Sunday, April 17, 2022

....a different perspective

Yogis,
Did you think you might make it through the month of April without a note from me about dandelions? I couldn’t possibly let that happen.

Easter brings with it visions of spring, sunshine, joy, yellow and all things rising. All qualities also shared by dandelion as they arrive together hand in hand.

I spent much of this past week with my sorely misunderstood friend. How could I not when each time I drive up to the house there she is in my gravel driveway welcoming me home. Many golden faces beaming at me from either side as I stroll up my walk. Hello, hello they yell. Even peeking out from a crack between my first and second brick steps.

As I rake the leaves and clean the garden, humble dandelion keeps me company. I fill a jar with her flowers and cover them in oil to be used in 6 weeks to make a healing skin balm. Her sunny disposition cheers me when I feel low and reminds me to always look on the bright side. Beautiful when you drop down to get close to her, leaving misconceptions behind and seeing her from a different perspective.

Let me share some fun facts about her that may shift your view…...

  •          The dandelion symbolizes both the sun and moon and their everlasting connection. Her bright yellow flowers carry the energy and warmth of the sun and the puff ball she later becomes is a symbol of the moon. She opens her petals in the morning to greet the sun and closes them to sleep under the light of the moon.
  •          Everyone has heard that dandelions are hard to remove. This is because of the incredible tap root they send down which at times can be several feet long. If any of it remains in the soil the dandelion will regrow. A reminder of our own potential for resilience and rebirth.
  •         There are about 100 species of dandelion and all are beneficial! Every single part of her offers nutrition and healing and has been used in Chinese traditional medicine for centuries.
  •          What appears to be a single flower head is actually made up of thousands of small ray flowers.
  •          Dandelion is the most recognized flower in America. Everyone can point out a dandelion!
  •          While we have been led to believe she is bad for our lawn, it is quite the opposite. Having dandelions keeps the soil aerated and the calcium she draws up with her long tap root fertilizes the grass.
  •          And best of all, dandelions are fun! Who doesn’t remember blowing your wishes to the wind as a child?

We could learn a few things from dandelion. Strong, yet gentle. Never taking herself too seriously. Beautiful without being fussy. Dandelions are the ultimate masters of survival and they continue shining their light on us even when presented with the most hostile of environments.

Next time you see her……beam back!

Ode to dandelion,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment