Sunday, January 24, 2021

.......little joys

Yogis,
Sometimes I catch myself putting my head down and plodding from day to day. Without awareness, life becomes rote. It starts to feel like the routines and commitments are what define us and can leave me feeling a little bit numb. Is this it?

One activity I find helpful when I find myself stuck in this energy is to do a week in review. Sitting quietly to watch a rerun of my life. I notice that when watched from a distance, all of the little unexpected joys suddenly leap out from my inner screen. Take this past week for example.

I went into it expecting quiet. No plans on the calendar (nothing new there). Regular class schedule, cooking dinners and caring for Phoebe who is recovering from acl surgery. Monday at lunch time I open the front door for a walk and find a box in my path. The label indicates flowers within and I double check before opening to be sure they are indeed at the right home.  A spectacular bouquet of farm flowers greets me with a card from my sister. She wanted me to know she was thinking of me. How awesome is that!

The owl continued to serenade us each evening. When I hear the call, I rush to the window, humbled to be in her company.

Tuesday night my son reaches out with an urgent request. Could they stay with us for a few days while the floors in their ongoing kitchen renovation are stained? Beginning in the morning. I quickly get the bedrooms ready, set out towels and make a soup. Suddenly our overly quiet home transforms with four workspaces, online school, a crib and the exuberant energy of children.  Woken in the morning by eager eyes peering in on me and whispers of ‘are you awake Nana?’ The possibility of a shower becomes a mere wish but smelling them as I hug them good night makes my heart smile.

A friend gifted me an amaryllis bulb for Christmas and I have watched the stalk growing on my front window ledge for the past three weeks. And grow and grow and grow. Friday morning, she catches my eye and my breath with a stunning white bloom. Layers of luscious white petals inviting you into her center. A goddess.

Friday afternoon it’s on to the beach for a quiet weekend….but wait. My other son asks if he and his fiancĂ© can come to check out a potential wedding venue. Once again, setting up bedrooms and gathering food. The weekend was frigid, so we spend much of it gathered around the glow of the fireplace. The comforts of the familiar smell and crackling wood the ideal backdrop for discussion and perfectly grilled tuna.  

On a walk to the beach in the late afternoon, the ocean acts as a mirror reflecting the setting sun which sits on my shoulder.  The half moon and little dipper. Blooms on my Lenten rose…..the first sign that spring will indeed come once again.  Evidence of a beaver at the river as I search the sky for a rare bird with a friend.

Yes, I still taught all of my classes, made dinners and spent considerable time caring for Phoebe, but what stands out are the unexpected moments of joy which shine when the light of awareness is pointed their way. They are always there…..if we lift our head up.

A week in review a nice habit to fall into,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment