Sunday, January 10, 2021

Happy New Day

Yogis,
Each January 1st I look forward to one of my rituals. It begins with taking down my paper calendar from the wall in preparation for the new one. For many years I sat on the floor going through the well worn pages seeing a complete year in review. Reliving the boy’s school activities, sports events and major milestones. Remembering the parties, workshops and vacations….all noted within blocks outlined in black.

With the arrival of electronic calendars, what I find written on my pages at year’s end has dwindled but I still love the turning of the page each month, watching time and the phases of the moon pass by. Last year though, I glanced over at my calendar in May and found that it was still turned to March. Time had stopped in mid-March. I moved it to May. Last week when I took it down, it still showed May. How symbolic….

I then love opening the new calendar. Pulling the cellophane off, each page so crisp, clear and clean. A freshness which begs for grand visions and hope. There is a distinct energy on New Year’s Eve and Day. An excitement for new. And like millions around the world, I contemplate what I want to place on those empty pages. Talk of resolutions and goals surround me.

Yet year after year, about 3 weeks later, when the holiday glitz has faded and the day to day schedules are again entrenched within the cold gray backdrop of January, we forget (although this year it only took until January 6.)  Of course, we do. Setting a resolution or goal for an entire year on a particular day you are told you should, is a recipe for disappointment. We have it all wrong.

I look at my new calendar as I place it on the wall. Each and every day clear and distinct. Its own box, not mixed with the one before or the one to follow. Each day set apart.

It hits me. Instead of Happy New Year…… every day we should be greeting each other with Happy New Day!

Every single day is unique and offers us a blank canvas on which to create. Each morning as our eyes open and we swing our feet to the floor we are presented with unlimited possibilities! Hello New Day! What shall I manifest in this wide open space of life that I have been gifted! I see myself within the block on the calendar surrounded by white and feeling my way into what I would like to place there. Like a dance. Swaying my hips to the beat of what I want to create. And then I get to do it all over again tomorrow…..and the day after…..and the day after……

You may argue that your calendar is already full. Doctor’s appointments, work meetings, lunch with a friend. Remember that you placed them there. These are all choices. Who knows? You may wake and opt to reschedule the doctor in order to take a hike. The work meeting may end up cancelled or you might leave your job.

If there is anything 2020 clearly demonstrated, it is that those things we thought weren’t possible can in the blink of an eye be turned upside down. Living now in ways we never imagined.  What else is possible? These are your days to do with them as you choose. Life lies wide open.

What is asked of you? Relax……. Believe…… Dream……… Envision…….. and trust. The Universe is eagerly awaiting your directions. So grateful!

Happy New Day everyone!
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment