Sunday, January 3, 2021

.....I am a painter

Yogis,
I am a painter. You probably didn’t know that about me because I have never painted.

Well, not never, if you count those rectangular gold plastic cases with a clear lid that included five circles of watercolor paint and a skinny brush. Do you remember those? The type you would get in a goodie bag at birthday parties or maybe from the dentist or at a fair. I distinctly remember using those a couple of times, I guess about fifty year ago.

In fact, I don’t even draw. If I doodle it will always be some simple geometric shapes or perhaps a daisy. My childhood memories are of drawings I had done in school where no one could correctly guess what it was.  I decided early on I was a terrible artist and I never looked back.

Fast forward to this past year. 

I was giving a friend a tour of my medicine wheel garden. She, on the other hand, is an incredible artist and was filling me in on her current projects. At one point she said, ‘Every time I see one of the photos you post of your flowers, I want to paint them’. I felt a little stir inside. A message.  Maybe I should be doing that, it said. I could suddenly see it.

When asked what I wanted for Christmas I remembered that inner voice. Paints, brushes, apron and easel all went on my list. Really?....everyone asked. This week I unpacked it all and figured out how to set up the easel. Then the old mind tried to get involved. What if I am terrible at it? What if I don’t enjoy it? What was I thinking? Now everyone is going to expect me to paint…..

But that’s the whole point….I wasn’t thinking. I was feeling. I had a desire to paint and was listening, without concern for other’s opinions or the fences my mind was already trying to construct. This is how intentions should begin. From a stir within.

I realize I know nothing! Fear forming of sitting in front of blank paper.

I am a painter.

I know it’s time to take a baby step. Walking the woods, I pick up a pinecone, oak leaf and some holly. My new subjects. I set everything up, sit down, place my brush in the water and take a deep breath. Here I go. Soon I am painting!

I believe at least you can probably tell what they are, but best of all, I enjoyed it! I have already picked up some other objects in nature that I am now envisioning placing on paper.

As we begin this New Year, skip the resolutions and replace them with intentions. Those inner longings that often are ignored for the more practical or expected. Those things, feelings, ideas or change that you want to manifest in your life. They can be anything. Anything.

Intentions are impulses you send out to the Universe. Once uncovered, place each one in a short simple positive statement in the present and release it. Stating it as if it has already manifested. Then seeing it. Visualizing yourself and how it will be once it is here, with faith and trust. Like seeds they will grow.

I am a painter.

When I want to grow a zinnia, I plant a zinnia seed,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment