Sunday, November 8, 2020

.....hope

Yogis,
Each time I run down from the beach house to see the sunrise, I am glad I did. Every single time……

I wish I could say I do it on all visits, but what sounds like a good idea early in the evening, often doesn’t when it’s time to set the alarm.  I instead begin picturing myself snuggling in bed until sunlight fills the room, causing me to squint. Yet there are those nights that I remind myself I should and when the alarm sings, I throw on my sneakers, grab the leash and off we go. Last night was one of those nights, and as we meandered back to the house this morning after welcoming in the new day, I was yet again filled with joy and the energy of hope.

The sunrise ushers in a new day in her own quiet way. The only sounds the stirring of the birds and the crashing of waves. A few other souls wandering the beach as we all individually, yet collectively, share this daily miracle. Phoebe meets a dog and they chase. The air is cool and moist. A ship, barely visible, passes through on its own journey.

The sunrise promises us new. It does not promise us certainty. Yesterday felt to me like a sunrise.

Soon after the election was called Phoebe and I took a long leisurely stroll through town, wanting to ‘feel’ what was happening. Rehoboth is a liberal town and one of the meanings of its name is ‘plenty of room’ and is why I love it so much.

Here, everyone is welcome. White, Black, Latino, Muslim, Asian, city folk, country folk, straight, gay, transgender, rich, poor, funny, grumpy……. We may not all agree and I might not want to have dinner with all of them, but we share the streets, beaches, stores and parks in harmony. It continues to be a sign for me of what is possible if we allow it. A sign of hope.

Regardless of your political or policy views, beneath all of that lies the human-ness we all share. I have watched how we have been treating each other and the direction we have been heading is dark. I know in my heart we can do better and yesterday felt like the possibility that a new day brings.

A sunrise does not bring certainty. No one person can flip a switch for us, as much as we might like that. The hard work is in our hands but the atmosphere in which we will put our heads down and continue forward now feels more spacious.

I watched the acceptance speeches last night. A woman accepting the position of vice president was monumental. Seeing a woman of color accept the position brought me to tears. As I write this my eyes are filling once again. Hope fills me and spills out through my eyes.

Rehoboth did not disappoint. The air was electric and as cars drove around the town’s circle with flags and honking horns, people of every nationality cheered. All of us individually, yet collectively, sharing in this time of possibility. I fell asleep last night to the sound of fireworks.

This morning I watched the sunrise.

The word of the day is Hope,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment