Sunday, December 8, 2019

......sidestepping fear


Yogis,
It all began with a thought…..as most things do.

Hanging out at the creek with a friend this fall, she mentions the annual craft fair that our town holds each December.  I have always loved this event. With about 50 vendors it is a great place to find unique gifts, run into neighbors and begin getting into the holiday spirit. Wait a minute……what if I became one of the vendors!

Like a flash, I could suddenly see it. Me, behind a table, displaying my plant medicines. Tinctures, salves, and oils. Handing out my cards. Sharing with people the benefits of using what the earth provides to us each day as a path to wellness. Right then I pulled out my phone and sent an email to find out who handles the event and within 24 hours the table was rented, and I was on the vendor list! Wow, that was easy.
Over the next few weeks I began to think through what I would need to make to have enough without so much that I needed an empty closet at home for what didn’t sell. I was excited by the grand vision, but soon thoughts of those pesky details began trickling in.

I have been wanting to redesign my business card for about a year, but now action was needed.  Figure out exactly what my message is, select colors, find a printer and order. Done. But wait…..a business card only does so much. I should have a handout that gives a better picture of what I offer. Classes, workshops, pricing and maybe even a picture for a more personal touch. Back online I go. Breathe…..See myself explaining tinctures to someone.

Working with my oil products I notice that my labels at times smear, which is fine when selling to students and friends but may need an upgrade. Research uncovers waterproof labels but when I try to print on them my words are not even close to the center of the stickers. A plea sent out to the street for assistance is responded to with silence. Sigh. Breathe…..Visualize a customer walking away with a bag of products.

Word is that most vendors take credit cards. Ugh. Ok, Square I will finally bite the bullet. Sign up, order and learn to use (with a humble ask to the Universe for it to work that day). The inner voice ramps up as the date approaches. What about receipts? Bags, I need bags. A banner might look nice. Cash for change. Yikes, how will my display be set up? Exhale…..See someone trying my plantain balm.

Now, if back at the creek someone had told me that I would have to be designing cards, postcards and banners, creating signage and learning new technology, the registration form would most likely not have made it into the mail. Fear would have eased its way in. Fear of failing. Fear of making a mistake. Fear of stepping into the uncomfortable place of ‘new’. But this time I had unknowingly sidestepped fear.
I realized a lot. Our role in manifesting is actually simple. Uncover what you want, visualize the end result as if it is already here, and trust. Yes, the details and obstacles will arise, but if allowed into that initial vision, fear becomes like a coat that is too tight. It keeps us small. When fear arises, breathe and set your sights beyond.

As the words in the Cat Stevens song in my playlist reminded me, ‘…..don’t wear fear, or nobody
will know you’re there.’

I want them to know I’m there!

Seeing,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment