Sunday, December 15, 2019

A New Year.....A New Habit


Yogis,
This month marks the twelfth anniversary of my meditation practice. I remember vividly how it all began.

At that time, I was going through a lot of changes. My yoga practice was deepening, the garden had wrapped me under her spell, and I was beginning to view the world from a slightly new perspective. An inner shift was taking place. A transition…..and I wanted to touch it more fully.

I didn’t know much about meditation. I only knew that it required me to get still, close my eyes and notice. So that is what I did. On my bedroom floor. Each day.

For months I recall my foot falling so asleep from sitting cross legged that I had to wait before attempting to stand. I remember hearing about different techniques that I tried. Counting my breaths. Watching my belly. Finding that I could focus for a short time but then catching myself off in some faraway story. Bringing myself back. Over and over.

I was told it was beneficial to find a set time of day to sit. I chose 6:30 am.  
Over the years my practice evolved. I now sit on my bed on folded blankets facing out the window. The length of time has extended to a half hour. I can focus longer and catch myself quicker, yet the stories still do come. What has remained constant is the 6:30 am time slot and the every day. Every day. I mourn for it when there is that rare day where I must miss.

Meditation is like a bag of flour. When you want to bake cookies, you must go buy a bag of flour. It isn’t the flour that is the destination, it is the cookies. I want to be happy…..so I meditate. I want to feel fulfilled…..so I meditate. I want to feel more deeply connected to all that is…..therefore I meditate. Everything we seek is inside.

As I have reflected on my practice this week, I see that it is the still point of my day. The one scheduled time where everything else waits while I tend to me. It wouldn’t happen without the practice. I am worth it.

While sitting on Friday morning an inspiration came through (which is quite common). I should bring
back the popular ‘Month of Meditation.’ I ran them many times but have not in the last few years. It is time to launch it again as we enter a new month in a new year in a new decade. A way to learn to meditate, reinvigorate your current practice, or simply know you are meditating with a virtually connected group.

‘A New Year….. A New Habit!’ with run for the month of January. Thirty-one daily emails with instruction, guidance, tips and inspiration for meditating at least 10 minutes each day. The cost for the program will be $25. I will be sending out more details, but if you know you are in….send me a note!

As I sat this morning, I heard the rain and the early morning birds. When I had closed my eyes, it was still dark but when they reopened the new day had dawned. Staring back at me were my trees, now naked once again, showing me who they truly are. I shined back.

Getting to know who I really am,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment