Sunday, May 19, 2019

.....the answer


Yogis,
First I have to share……. Those of you who read my ‘pennies from heaven’ a couple of weeks ago will get a kick out of this.

Getting ready to head out for a hike, I put my trail shoes on. As I’m walking down the steps I had that annoying feeling of my sock being sort of folded under my big toe. No big deal. After a couple more steps though I decided it was ridiculous to do a hike like that and took the shoe off. Out flew a penny!

I laughed, thanked Lakshmi (goddess of abundance) and stuck it in my pocket.  Fast forward to bedtime. As I am taking my pants off, the penny I had of course forgotten about came literally flying out of the pocket. My oh my. Obviously, this path, and my lesson have not ended. I decided a penny should travel with me throughout my day for now. Stay tuned.

On my Thursday morning run I was listening to the Universe for guidance on what to write this week. A couple ideas floated through but then I saw it. A bumper sticker which read ‘Tress are the answer’.

Cute I thought, but then the words poured in. Trees ARE the answer for so many of the things we humans are currently struggling with today.  Think about it:
  • Our air now has more carbon dioxide then any time in the last 800,000 years…..Trees love carbon dioxide! And not only do they breathe it up by the gallon, they convert it into clean fresh oxygen for us!
  • Flooding rains are causing havoc to our properties and homes…….The roots of the big old growth trees can’t get enough of it!
  • The climate is warming……. Trees are nature’s coolant, blocking the strongest rays of the sun and keeping the moisture in. Think woods vs dessert.
  • We are being bombarded with an elevated noise level of planes, cars, lawn mowers and blowers…… Trees are nature’s sound buffer. Why else would the word ‘hush’ be tied to the forest?
  • Heating and air-conditioning costs are on the rise…….A house with a large tree strategically placed will stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Yes!
  • Erosion has become an issue from storm water runoff…….. Once again, trees to the rescue, holding the earth in place!
  • Issues with anxiety are rampant…….Being in the company of trees will lower the heart rate and calm the breath. ‘Forest Bathing’ is the new spa, and its free.  
  • We are becoming less patient……. There is no better teacher of patience than a tree
  • Pollution…..trees      Fewer species of birds….trees      Violence……Urban areas with more trees are shown to have less violence     Children spending their day looking at screens…..send them out to a big tree and their imaginations will bloom with the best playmate there is.

Tomorrow when you go about your day, please pause in front of one tree, ‘see’ it and give it the proper thank you it deserves.  And perhaps consider where in your yard one more could be planted……

A proud tree hugger,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment