Sunday, May 26, 2019

......miracles


Yogis,
Isn’t spring amazing!

At this time of year the world around us is expanding and changing so quickly that my little mind can’t keep up! At the end of even a single day when I think back to all that I witnessed, touched, tasted smelled and heard I feel I could write a whole book!

Let’s take Wednesday as an example…..  Mommy wren has become accustomed to Phoebe and I hanging out directly below her home, which means we are serenaded each time she returns to feed the babies. A young fox trots out of the woods toward us until we are spotted. The toad in the hollowed tree stump allows me to capture a face only a mother could love. And as I walk up my front steps the face of a zinnia beams at me.

Fresh chives, arugula, sage and lambs’ quarters now available right outside my door for spectacular salads. My CSA box bursting with fresh dark greens, spring onions and asparagus make for tasty dinners.

I place tiny seeds in the dirt and a week later sprouts lift the heavy earth with their strong backs, finally freeing their heads to reach skyward.  My peony plants gift me seven incredible blooms, their petals so soft I long to dive in.

The aroma of fresh mint wafts through the house as I bring in daily cuttings for vases and smoothies and when I am submerged in the heady scent of honeysuckle on my run, I have to close my eyes to feel it. Too beautiful for words.

The meaning of the word ‘miracle’ is “amazing or wonderful occurrence," and it comes from the Latin word miraculum “object of wonder." Often described as an occurrence which cannot be explained by science or nature, and therefore is believed to be a work of the Divine.

Although science may be able to explain much of the above in formulas and hard to pronounce terms, it can’t describe the way my heart beats harder when a monarch flies close. Or how I tingle when the full moon shines on me while I in bed. It can’t explain the magic.

Isn’t the whole season of spring a miracle? Isn’t all of this a miracle? Is the fact that I get to play in it every day not a miracle? And the more you begin to look for the little miracles, the more are drawn into your path.

The other day I lay on the grass to photograph an orange butterfly. She patiently posed for several minutes as I shot from each angle only inches away. At one point she even demonstrated how she cleans herself. Two days later I walk out and there she is. I pull the phone out and get close. But this time she flies right on top of my camera and looks me in the eye as if to say ‘see me’ without the distortion of a lens. 

And so I did.
Spring! Isn’t she amazing…..
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment