Sunday, December 9, 2018

.....wonder


Yogis,

The other evening at dusk I was taking Phoebe for her dinner time walk. We had crossed the front yard and were starting down the street when the view over my left shoulder caught my eye.  The darkening sky was now deep blue, dotted with thin clouds backlit by the setting sun, glowing a magnificent shade of coral. My neighbor’s holly trees framed by this setting, their shapes outlined in black.

It was quite cold and thus very quiet. No one but me. I stopped to notice. To listen to the silence. To see.

For that moment I was seeing with new eyes. The world around me appearing like an incredible stage set up waiting for the actors to arrive. How could something so beautiful be real and be here each and every day. I decided I wanted to walk through not only this brief outing but my week in this state of wonder……..
‘Wonder’ is defined as – to be filled with admiration, amazement, or awe. Awe. Yes, that was indeed what I was feeling. Awe at something I pass several times a day but somehow witnessed differently that night.

As children we hold wonder naturally. Everything new and each sighting a cause for joy. As adults though we become numb to how incredible the world is that sits right outside the door, needing to venture further and further from home to find that much longed for ‘wonder’.  Standing under the hundred-foot tree, having furry little creatures scurry by, buckets of water falling from the sky and twinkling lights floating in the sky all become ho hum.

What if we could rub our eyes and see it all fresh again! That was my practice for the week. To remember to be childlike. To see anew.

This picture is from a walk on a path nearby. As I rounded the bend and saw the tunnel created by trees it spoke to me.  I again was awed. 

Friday night as I leaned my upper body out the bedroom window into the frigid air, the sensation against my skin awakened me once more. How amazing that we have these bodies, with aches pains and all, that allow us to dance, run, jump and hug another.

Tomorrow when you walk out the door, remove the ‘been there, done that’ glasses and see the world like you have never seen it before. See like a child. See with wonder…….

Om,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment