Saturday, December 1, 2018

.....I thought I let it go


Yogis,
So I’m driving down into the city recently to help with the grandkids on a very early weekday morning. The sky is only beginning to hint of an approaching sun. I’ve got my tea latte next to me and am looking forward to the day ahead. Rush hour traffic is starting to build as I put on my blinker and slow to change into the lane that will take me in the direction I am heading.

Out of nowhere a car flies up behind me and lays heavy on the horn. I am waiting for the car next to me to move a little more forward, so I can slide in, and in those two seconds I felt accosted. I never saw the driver in the dark but felt their energy pour into me.  Their rage. My heart pounded and my muscles clenched tight. The expression ‘I was shaken’ rang true.

As I continued along, it took a considerable amount of time for me to regain the peace that had sat within me only moments ago. I exhaled and told my body to ‘let it go’. To release what happened in the past as it no longer exists. Mentally I thought I had succeeded, but the next week while making the same trip my body’s memory shifted into high gear as I approached that spot in the road. 

I clearly had not let it go……..
In reality this was a small incident with no consequences. The type of thing we all encounter each day as we make our way through this human life. For some this wouldn’t have even registered, but as an empath who feels others deeply, it was exactly the kind of situation I struggle with the most.

When we hear about letting go we often think about the big things.  That grudge held onto for 20 years. The blame placed on parents who didn’t nurture enough. Or the shame over something done as a teenager. Yes, those all should be let go, but the practice begins within daily living. With the little things.

Everything that comes in must go out. When it doesn’t, it forms one more small thread that weaves into an inner web and eventually leads to ‘issues in our tissues’.  Illness, injury, upset stomach.

As you walk through your day, take note of the things that cause you to contract.  A rude email, an inconsiderate neighbor, the cashier at the store who hasn’t been properly trained. Being put on hold, the way your spouse doesn’t make the bed, or your concern about not being good enough. Become aware of not only the thoughts you have, but what happens in the body. The two are intertwined and where one goes…..the other inevitably follows. 

Then take a deep breath and as you slowly exhale imagine your muscles melting. The jaw dropping, eyes softening and what just happened pouring out through the soles of the feet. Emptying. Consciously letting it go.  Freeing up space for new!
It’s a practice………  I will keep practicing.

Aaahhhhhhhhhh……….
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment