Sunday, May 20, 2018

.......to the rescue


Yogis,

My plant passion began innocently enough back in probably 2002. I had begun trying to tame the growth bordering the woods on one side of the house and was discovering hidden plants buried within.  A large bunch of daffodils that came into full bloom once I removed their cover. Bushes that began to twinkle in the spring with their small white flowers and old crumbling cobblestones I unearthed as I tried to edge the garden.  Someone had clearly been here long before me.

I decided the clearing job, poison ivy and all, was too big for me alone so I hired someone to help.  Unfortunately I thought his English was better than it was and the only word he was positively clear on was ‘clear’….which he did with gusto.  I came home to barren earth.  I went upstairs and sobbed.
The replanting of that area is what caused an unearthing in me that released a buried deep love for all that is green. 
I have heard many other landscaper stories.  My sister’s beautiful organic raised garden bed suddenly filled with clearly non-organic dirt. ‘Weeds’ pulled which were actually herbs lovingly planted. Weed killer or fertilizer spread when food to be eaten lies close by, sharing the same earth.  None of this done with ill intent but simply not understanding the majesty of the plant kingdom. Here is where I come in. 

My neighbor’s yard has some wild Mullein plants that I always admire as I pass, sending them a little energetic hello.  Mullein is a sturdy plant.  Rather large soft fat leaves all growing from a center stalk, that can reach 4 feet before bursting with small yellow flowers.  She is casual and quiet, yet you can’t help but notice her presence.  In a human body I feel she would wear old ripped jeans and play the guitar, and of course, be barefoot. 

Walking Phoebe the other day, dressed in a skirt and nice shirt, I noticed the neighbor having yard clean up done.  As I rounded the bend I saw the large pile of discarded plants and the edges of some mullein leaves barely peering out from the center.  Help….they yelled!

Oh no!  As I threw on my invisible plant rescuer cape, I marched into the garden and asked him if he had dug them by the roots as I lifted one out.  Not sure he understood me, but I rustled through the pile anyway uncovering four and told him I was taking them. Good plant – he asked?  Yes! The best lung healer there is.  Gave them a little shake and wrapped my arms around them, dirt and all.  Ok Phoebe let’s go!  And off we went, Mullein in tow. 

Since then I have been contemplating this role I have chosen to fill and have decided I need a title. My superhero name. The right one has not come to me. The words green, weed, wild, protector, renegade, savior, plant have been swirling in my head, but nothing.  Any ideas out there? If anyone comes up with a suggestion that I end up using, there will definitely be a gift!


Connected to plants,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment