Sunday, May 13, 2018

......life on the floor


Yogis,

I always tell my yoga students that if nothing else, coming to yoga once a week gets them up and down from the floor several times over the hour and a half.  An important ability which is second nature to children as they flop down, a little more deliberate in young adults and a lot creakier and less frequent in midlife.  One of those ‘use it or lose it’ life skills.

I have always thought of myself as someone who spends much time on the floor. Teaching, practicing, playing with Phoebe and working in the garden. But as I sat on the couch and opened up Yin Yoga, the book I was to read for my course, the first page said to get off the couch or chair and get down on the floor. To read the entire book on the floor.  So I did…….

I then went to Vancouver and spent 7 hours a day on the floor for 7 straight days! And I noticed differences. Then and there I set the intention to continue living more of life on the floor on my return.  Luck would have it – thank you Universe! – that a neighbor had recently given me a large very low coffee table that is perfect for reading, eating and computer work all while my butt makes contact with the ground below.  I am sitting here now as I write……

Many say that two of the worst inventions for human health were the chair and the toilet. I will save the toilet for another discussion, but we were not designed to sit in chairs. And we spend a whole lot of our life in them!  Working, eating, driving, reading, socializing and watching tv.
Studies are finding that the ability to get up and down from the floor without support or many touch points is one indicator of longevity.  That alone can grab your attention.  

But there are so many other benefits! The hips and ankles begin to slowly open, it is relaxing to the nervous system, the back muscles strengthen for improved posture, the heart receives more circulation and overall flexibility increases.  

Try it! Give it a month as it takes 30 days to make something a habit. Perhaps you set the intention to do all reading on the floor. Or whenever you use your phone to talk or email.  Maybe eat one meal a day there.  

As you sit, you can move about as much as needed.  Sometimes I am cross legged, and then it will feel good to spread my legs wide or send them straight forward.  Other times I sit on my feet or even curl my toes under and sit on my heels for a minute of two (counteracts the effect of our shoes). Maybe soles of the feet together and knees apart.  Doesn’t matter!  Simply get down there and stay for some period of time. Often. Make it a lifestyle.

Others may look at you funny. Your dog will absolutely love it. The view will be new. And over time you will notice changes……..

I would love to hear how it goes! Send me a report - from the floor of course.

Floor dwelling,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment