Sunday, January 7, 2018

.....New Year intention


Yogis,
It’s that time again!  A new year.  Like a timer that goes off and causes us to pause and consider what it is that we want. 

When I was young we would each declare a New Year’s resolution……only to be completely forgotten within a few days. You could be pretty bold with your resolutions, knowing no one (including you) was ever going to be checking back in on them. I have now replaced them with intentions.

An intention differs from a New Year’s resolution in many ways:
  • Intentions are not reserved for Jan 1, but are done continuously.  Month to month, day to day, even sometimes hour to hour.  An intention could be set for something as simple as your drive home or a single meditation.
  • Intentions are always in the positive.  Instead of “I will lose 10 pounds”, try on “I am the perfect weight for me!”   Or replace “I will worry less” with “I trust life completely!
  • Notice how intentions are always in the present.  No use of the words will, plan to or going to.  But AM, HAVE, FEEL!  As if they have already happened.
  • Unlike resolutions which lie swept under the bed, covered with dust, intentions are alive. Repeated mentally each day.  Written down.  Posted in view.  Spoken out loud (even when it feels like you are pretending).  
Finally, with an intention you let go of what you ‘think’ you should do, and state instead what you ‘want’ to do.  Then you feel ownership.  A deep desire to make it real. 

Another nice practice at the start of a year is to find one word.  A word that has the feeling tone that matches your vision for the next twelve months.  A word that when you say it, or even think it, your insides scream yes! My word last year was ‘fierce’.  

I have been waiting for my word to come to me.  Expansive, flourishing and bold passed through but no fireworks went off.  But then the right one showed up.  I realized when I saw it that I have already been using it in some of my marketing materials and it fits my visions for growth, using my voice and movement forward.  It also weaves beautifully into my passion for plants.  My word is…….

Blooming. I am blooming!  And the picture I took this week of an Amaryllis displays it perfectly.

Ok, your turn. What is your word this year?


With an open heart,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment