Sunday, June 11, 2017

.....noise

Yogis,
When does sound become noise?
We live only about 10 miles from a major airport. One of the most frequent flight patterns now passes directly over our backyard and lately it has caused quite a stir in the neighborhood.

It began with some on line discussion which led to the signing of a petition. Articles were posted and we were all encouraged to contact our representatives and file complaints. The hope is to change the path or at least create several alternate options so that we don’t take the full brunt of the traffic. 

I will say that there are times I am aware of the planes. Sometimes house guests will point them out if they are from an area without planes overhead, or I will notice the consistency of them while leading a meditation back in my rock circle. But honestly it feels to me like one of many sounds and was not causing me any distress. However, as the daily email reminders continued to arrive I became more and more attuned to them….until finally it began to bother me. It had become noise.

So back to the question.  When does sound become noise? 

Clearly it is not from the tone, rhythm or timing of it since I always sleep with the windows wide open while others are complaining of insomnia and headaches. It isn’t volume which determines it since when I do listen they can be quite loud at times. No, I think sound becomes noise when you allow it to disturb your peace, pulling you from center.The sound was always there but it wasn’t until the outside world triggered me to tune into it that it became noise. I had made the choice to listen to it. 

Friday afternoon I am in the backyard discussing the planes with a friend and timing their arrivals.  But then I heard it……. the sound of the woodpecker who is nesting in one of my trees. I grabbed the binoculars to watch and listen. The sound of the planes quickly became a distant memory as I tuned back in to what I love. I realized then and there that we are always surrounded by a multitude of sounds. We live in a noisy world. We must individually select which frequency to set our dial to, and my favorite station is nature.  

Since I am always listening for the scamper of the chipmunk, the buzz of the bees or the stirring of the deer in my woods, all of the other sounds are tuned out. Faded into the background. Not allowing them to interrupt my peace. 

If you get quiet right now and listen what do you hear? I am on the back deck and can hear the crow, robins, cars, the wind, an ambulance. They are all there. Which will I choose to hear……  Which will you choose.....

We each vibrate at a different frequency so there will be sounds that serve me that may not serve you.  Find the ones that resonate with your inner song and tune in. Allow the rest to fade away.

‘Noise does not cancel out noise; Silence does.’
                ~Mahatma Gandhi

Listening,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment