Sunday, June 18, 2017

.....dirt

Yogis,
You all know by now how much I LOVE the dirt. 

No sooner have I showered when I catch myself unconsciously pulling some weeds, burrowing dirt deep beneath my fingernails. Shoes kicked off and bottoms of feet permanently stained a nice summer brown. I love standing on it, being near it, smelling it and having my hands in it.  

So how happy was I today to discover that my grandson too loves the dirt!
I had bought him a small pail filled with gardening tools as a gift for his visit, planning to show him how it was done…….but of course, it worked the other way around.   

I had bought a flowering plant for the container on the deck and hadn’t had a chance to plant it. This is a rather large container with lots and lots of dirt. So out we went to tackle the job.  First we used our shovels to remove some of the old dirt.  We then shoveled in new soil and mixed it all up. Typically this would be the moment at which I would set the plant in and move on to my next activity. But not when  your gardening assistant is just shy of two.

We were at the best part! A huge mound of dirt that called for us to dig, move to buckets, pour out, spill on the ground (with an ‘uh, oh’) and stir. Old buried walnuts uncovered while mother wren scolded us for being too close to her nest. Phoebe standing guard over us lest any intruders should happen by. Soon we had dirt up our arms and on our shirts, sticking to our sweat. Just the way I like it! Then everyone was called out to see our dirt and  Phoebe had to smell around it. NOW we were ready to plant. 

Flowers set and more dirt needed – oh yeah! 

And then what comes next?  Water of course. The next best activity when dirt is involved. Dirt….check.  Water…..check.   Sun……check.  That should do it. But not so fast. 

One final magic ingredient is required for a healthy happy plant. LOVE. Boy did we have plenty of that……check.

One dirty happy Nana,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment