Sunday, March 20, 2016

.....time is an illusion

Yogis,
About every three weeks in the off season we head to our beach house.  The normal routine is leaving early Saturday morning, so I can have my Friday night ‘time for me’, and then I work from there on Monday and drive back that evening.  Have been doing that for a while now.  A routine.

But this week we changed the plan so I could get together with my sister.  Heading there Friday afternoon and coming back Sunday.  Doesn’t seem like that would be a big modification but it completely threw me for a loop! 
Packing on Thursday night instead of Friday morning made it challenging to remember what to bring.  Saturday my alarm went off and I was sure it was Sunday.   Today I felt like I should be working and was convinced that tomorrow I had my Tuesday classes….. and the weekend felt so much longer than usual.  It reminded me of how those 3 day holiday weekends, where the four day work week should feel like a gift, usually ends up feeling interminably long.  Thinking on Wednesday that it must be Thursday.  It all made me think about time.

Time speeds up.  Time slows down.  Whenever something is new we notice it more and time crawls.  As soon as it becomes rote, time picks up velocity.  I always notice this on vacation where those first few days when everything is unknown seem like an eternity, only to be followed by the final four days racing by like a blur.  Is it already time to leave?

Einstein was the first to shock the world with the concept that time is an illusion.  Today’s belief is ‘There Is no Time. There never was and there never will be. Everything exists in the present moment and it's a fundamental principle of the Universe that many of our scientists are still trying to grasp. Time does not actually exist and Quantum Theory proves it.’

Therefore there really is only now.  Only this moment.  I am writing this now.  You are reading this now.  I want to live more of these ‘nows’.  I don't want to wait for some unknown time. Less attention to the past or the future as those are merely illusions.  More living. More aliveness. Less rote. Want to join me?

One of my students sent me a picture of his father-in-law who is now 103, still going to the gym daily and doing Tai Chi.  Think about that.  103 years.  Viewing that from afar and saying the number - more than a century – makes it appear an eternity.  However he says even he can’t believe how fast time has gone and how he got so old so fast.  I bet what he remembers when he looks back are the moments. 

Does it matter if we live to 103 if we aren’t living the moments?
There is now…..and then there is now…..and then there is now,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment