Sunday, April 6, 2014

I am trying!

Yogis,

On Monday we entered a new month, and with that came the end of “A Mindful Month” where 80 of us meditated daily for 10 minutes.   For some it was a brand new experience and for others it was a time to get back into the routine.  For some it sparked a new energy within and for others there were some stumbles and perhaps even times with a complete stop.  It was all good.  It was all what it was supposed to be.

I sent out a note asking people to share how it went and what they experienced.  Most of the replies I got were that it felt great, they could see the differences it was making and they were going to try to stick with it! 

There it was again.   That darn word that we all use so often.  TRY.
 

Last Friday night in yoga class as we all sat up from Savasana, the teacher said she had to apologize.  She realized that while guiding us in the final rest she gave the cue that we should “try” to be still.  In her training they work with essential speech and the word try just simply doesn’t fit in.  We either are still or we aren’t.   Our effort is simply to come to the mat and end in Savasana each time.  Choose and do. The stillness will follow in time, with patience, when it is meant to. 

On Tuesday morning  I went for a solo run in the dark stillness of the early morning and all of the meditation emails I had received were running through my consciousness.    It was suddenly so clear.  We can’t “try” to meditate.  We either do it….or we don’t.  The word try implies that there is something complicated about it, which there isn’t.  We just choose to meditate and once a day we sit for 10 minutes.  That’s it.  The word try has to be removed. 

It’s like when you are having a party and someone tells you they will try to come.  In my book, I don’t put them into the final headcount.  How about you?  Or what if I told you – I am going to try to keep the dog in the house – but when I head out, I leave the door open just  a crack.  The word try is the crack in the door.

The word try leaves that window open that it is ok not to move forward.   It tells both your mind (which doesn’t need a lot of openings, thank you very much) and the Universe, that you may or may not do it…… that you will try.  So that is what comes back to you.

Say both of these phrases out loud.  Feel the energy behind each one:
·         I will try to meditate each day
·         I meditate every single day
Who do you think will be meditating 6 months from now! 

When we choose something….anything, send out that vibration and move forward the Universe will support us every step of the way.    The Universe loves clarity and making a clear choice sends a strong signal.   This is one of the natural laws of the Universe.  On the other hand, if  you say you will try –  well that is what the Universe supports.  It will help you in your “trying”. 

If something is important to you, then just choose it and do it.  Trying is just too darn difficult.  It is an extra layer that is unnecessary. 

So when I got back from my run on Tuesday, I had an email from another one of the March Meditators.  Her note said  “this will continue....I am taking the word 'try' out of my vocab when it comes to my practice.”  Wow.  The Universe was quite clear this week on what I should write about!  Thank you!

So this week, try to Notice every time you use the word “try” and see if you can restate your intention.   If it isn’t something you are really planning to do (like coming to my party J) recognize that and be honest with yourself.   But if it is something you want…..state it loud and clear!

I am creating this life and I love it,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment