Sunday, November 24, 2013

......the superhighway of gratitude

 
Yogis,
 
Ok,  so I have decided I want to live life with an open heart.  Being fully present for not only the highs of love and bliss, but also having the courage to sit with the lows of sorrow and grief.  I want to live life fully.  But how do I get there?

Like anything else that you desire.  Choose it.  See it clearly…..and then take those baby steps.   Daily Practice. 

And………I believe one of the super highways to an open heart (go directly there without passing go) is via  the path of gratitude – in the DC area this would be those new 495 HOV lanes.  The Universe loves gratitude! 

This is a simple practice that everyone can do, but you must do it.  Mindfully.  Every day.  As you go through your day begin to notice those things that catch your eye, those small things that are special, those things that just happen………..  Seeing the moon in the sky.  A stranger looks you in the eye and smiles.  The warmth of the blanket as you snuggle into bed.  The smell of dinner cooking.  

Notice.  But then go the extra step and say Thank You! Internally….or for more oomph.. aloud (much more on this at the throat chakra).  Just Thank You to the Universe.  Or “moon you are so beautiful!”  Feel the gratitude, but the real practice here is to send it outward.  Begin that exchange.   And the more you do this, the more things will come your way to be grateful for!  Try it.
 
 
Every morning I sit on my bed to meditate from 6:30 to 7.  And this time of year the sun begins to rise during that ½ hour, so that when I finish and look over my right shoulder, the sky and clouds have become an exquisite coral color.   It takes my breath away every time.  Thank you Universe!

The full moon this week was spectacular.  I tried to see it rise each night, and without fail when I would get up for my second trip to the bathroom during the night (so is this what everyone has been talking about?), she is beaming in through the window lighting my way.  Thank you Goddess!

On Thursday I took my walk to the river and sat in my usual spot.  There is a tree to my left that has fallen.  I always touch it and notice it, but this week was different.  It was as if it reached out to me and made me really “see” it.   And what I saw was so beautiful.  My new nickname for him is “my Ogre Tree”.  Thank you tree!

  Front View
 

  Side View
For those who have been coming to classes the last few weeks, there has been a very special energy we have all created together.  Something a little different than usual. Have you all been able to feel it?   Thank you yoga!

My garden is now almost all brown and brittle, rustling in the wind.   But as I walked it the other night I realized that  the plants offer a different gift every season.  Their message now is to rest and allow everything that has come in over these last 6 months to settle into my bones.  To go inward and prepare the soil for the next planting season.  Thank you plants!

And finally………On Monday night I went into the center of my wheel in the dark under the full moon.  Now I haven’t seen Bunny Rabbit in 3 weeks.  I had accepted that he had moved on for the winter.  Oh no.  He came hopping right up to my feet!  After much gushing and loud exclamations of delight, I sat and fed him and then we sat together quietly for 20 minutes under the moon.  Aaaahhhhh……….Thank you Bunny Rabbit!

The reason we have to pull the shoulders back and spread the front of the chest for heart opening is that when it begins to open it gets so much bigger!  It needs a whole lot more space…..

Thank you all for reading my words, sharing your thoughts, giving me hugs and most of all for letting me “see” you,
SARAH

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Sarah. I have tried to live by a philosophy I read about years ago...pray in gratitude rather than in supplication. I thank the universe for having whatever it is that I desire rather than asking for it. I like that! I am grateful for you. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete